Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Member สมาชิก

My G/f is currently here on a Fiance visa granted from the 1st of Jan. I would prefer if possible for her to have as long as she can here before we get married. Its a massive culture shock and 6 Months hardly seems very long for her to adjust.

I would be interested to hear from anyone who has sucessfuly managed to extend their Fiance visa.

It does seem a bit bizzare that although you have to show the means to support your partner 100% during her stay she can only stay for 6 months. Meanwhile someone from an EU Country can fly here for £7 via easy-jet and start claiming full benefits after 12 months??

God bless Tony...

Member สมาชิก

My G/f is currently here on a Fiance visa granted from the 1st of Jan. I would prefer if possible for her to have as long as she can here before we get married. Its a massive culture shock and 6 Months hardly seems very long for her to adjust.

I would be interested to hear from anyone who has sucessfuly managed to extend their Fiance visa.

It does seem a bit bizzare that although you have to show the means to support your partner 100% during her stay she can only stay for 6 months. Meanwhile someone from an EU Country can fly here for £7 via easy-jet and start claiming full benefits after 12 months??

God bless Tony...

A fiance visa is to get married. You have to convince them that you have made plans to get married to get the visa. Think yourself lucky to have got the visa with the commitment you are showing.

The EU is a community, wether you like it or not, they have all joined the same club and all gained rights.

BigRed

Banned

Originally posted by Talunge:
    6 Months hardly seems very long for her to adjust.
    One should only apply for a fiance visa if one has already made the commitment to marry and settle in the UK. It is not some sort of glorified visit visa so she can come and see if she likes it here! If that is what you both wanted to do she should have applied for a visit visa instead.

Fiance visas can only be extended in the most exceptional of circumstances. You will need to show a very good reason why the wedding has not already taken place and acceptable evidence that it will take place in the very near future.

Nick is right, for example, say a wedding was planned to happen near the end of the 6-month period and then someone gets hurt in an accident and is in hospital on the planned wedding date .... after providing proof of that it should be possible to get an extension to the fiancé(e) visa.

However Talunge, here you are merely days into a 6-month fiancée day and you are already thinking of an extension. You have already been reminded for the purpose of a fiancée visa is to allow the marriage to happen within the 6 month period. Accordingly that needs to be the plan. But nothing to stop that wedding being say a week before the end of the 6 month period.

Even if you do plan to marry that late into the 6 month period, do the legal formalities at the Register Office as soon as possible. That is, as soon as she has been resident at a UK address for "7 clear days", go along to the designated Register Office and give the needed Notice of Intention to Marry. That will be posted publicly for 15 days, after which permission to marry is granted .... and that permission to marry is valid for 12 months! But as already said, you need to plan to marry during the period of validity of the fiancée visa.

When you do go along to the Register Office they might offer to book a suite in the Register Office at the same time. You can either do that then, or say that such booking will be done later when the exact plans have been made.
    John

Banned

Originally posted by John:
    However Talunge, here you are merely days into a 6-month fiancée day and you are already thinking of an extension. You have already been reminded for the purpose of a fiancée visa is to allow the marriage to happen within the 6 month period. Accordingly that needs to be the plan. But nothing to stop that wedding being say a week before the end of the 6 month period.
    Talunge, I see from your previous posts that the visa was granted in early November. Remember that the 6 month period began when the visa was granted, not when she entered the UK. Unless you asked for the visa to be post dated when making the application. I suggest that you check the dates on the visa to be sure.

Member สมาชิก

Thanks for your comments.....Firstly on the topic of the EU ...yes we all joined the same club.. only some pay considerably less membership but still get to use all the facilities hey?

As for my reasons for extending the Visa thats a matter of opinion. Anyone who thinks their relationship is more cemented because they married as soon as they arrived here is frankly deluding themselves.

..and for anyone who is thinking along the same lines as me..i have had a couple of private reply's from people who have managed with ease to extend their fiance visas. Providing a good enough excuse is offered.

I have also today spoken to a British Embassy official who told me that providing their are genuine reasons for doing so they will extend visa stays.

Blog Entries

... I have also today spoken to a British Embassy official who told me that providing their are genuine reasons for doing so they will extend visa stays.
    But it has nothing to do with the Embassy

What is a 'genuine' reason?

Talunge, you asked members for an opinion and that is what you have received. You don't have to accept the advice you have received, but if I were in your shoes I'd consider the above advice very carefully because it it very good advice - the same good advice you refer to here.
    Tobias - โทเบียส

Member สมาชิก

I did ask for advice from people who had sucessfully extended or at least tried to extend their visas to be fair.

The advice on here is very good yes! When making my fiance visa application i received very good advice from people who had done the same.

In my experience if you want to know how to do something its better to ask people who have done it rather than people who think they know how to do it.

Otherwise you end up sifting through an endless list of possibilities.

As for possible reasons...

An example i have been given was of a girl who had to return to Thailand for a funeral 1 week before her wedding date in the UK. She was granted a further 6 Month visa. That was within the past 12 months.

I did ask for advice from people who had sucessfully extended or at least tried to extend their visas to be fair.
    This is the best advice there is. If it's not quite what you want to hear then you're in for a fall. Some of the guys who've already given you some of their time and effort know more about visa rules, than you and I will ever do. Spurn their advice at your own risk.
    If you're offended by any assistance I give, it says far more about you than it does me.

An example i have been given was of a girl who had to return to Thailand for a funeral 1 week before her wedding date in the UK. She was granted a further 6 Month visa. That was within the past 12 months.
    So which member of your girlfriends family are you going to knock off ? Mum ? Dad ? Sister ? Buffalo ?
    If you're offended by any assistance I give, it says far more about you than it does me.

Member สมาชิก

Good idea sick water Buffalo! There is always a sick Buffalo in Issan in need of 30,000 baht...maybe this time it wont make it!!

Banned

Anyone who thinks their relationship is more cemented because they married as soon as they arrived here is frankly deluding themselves.
    Marry in haste, repent at leisure: true. However, most people who apply for a fiance visa do so because they are already in a long term relationship and have already made the commitment to marry. That is what a fiance visa is for. It is those who use a fiance visa as an 'easier to get' visit visa when they have not yet made such a commitment who are the delusional fools.

Yes, some members here have sucessfully extended fiance visas, but the application is made to the home office, not any embassy. Also one member in particular, whenever this question previously arose, used to say that he had done it and it was so easy he'd done so twice; forgetting that the rules have changed since he did so. Any advice you have privately recieved about how easy it is to extend a fiance visa should be looked at very carefully to make sure you have all the facts of the case before you act on such advise.

Originally posted by Noi & Nick:
    forgetting that the rules have changed since he did so.
    Which rules have changed regarding fiance visa extension?
    aka Spud / aka MF

Banned

The reasons for allowing an extension and that IOs at a port of entry are no longer allowed to extend or change the conditions of an entry clearance.

This change was several years ago.

I refer you to section 3.1 of this document.

The last few posts have been deleted at the request of one of the posters.