Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I am wondering, if you need to be housed in what must be extremely rare "council" housing

Now dont get me wrong but I do not beleive that because somebody has to abode in a council house they are beneath anybody financially that lives in Coventry or any other part of the u.k.

I can not say for others but because of the current housing situation in the u.k buying a house is just not cost effective and the market being flooded with private rented at ridiculous prices it makes sense to rent from the local council. The increased fees bother me alot but will be paid with no problems..

Blog Entries

Originally posted by Dave C:
    I am wondering, if you need to be housed in what must be extremely rare "council" housing

Now dont get me wrong but I do not beleive that because somebody has to abode in a council house they are beneath anybody financially that lives in Coventry or any other part of the u.k. ...
    Dave, I think Ian was referring solely to the current 'shortage' or 'availability' of public housing rather than it being a reference to the financial standing of a typical tenant.
    Tobias - โทเบียส
    Stay home. Stay alert. Save lives.

Dave C/ Tobias,

Yes, my neighbours live in a council houses, some are better off than me, others aren't (I would say more are though). I agree completely with the price of housing and especially "private" rental being so high it is more ridiculous than the visa fees and forces people to make difficult life choices, hence why I live in Coventry and work in Reading

My point is more to do with the fact that the Council/Government are means testing people to see if they qualify for a property appropriate to their means and nothing more, but are then for people in "our" situation taking misproportionate fees without any means testing (can't afford it then we don't want you). If I was going through STARTING the visa process now I would more than likely be aware of the level of fees and would try to ensure I had enough money to cover it, but when I and many others started, the fees were far more affordable to the average man on the street and I didn't expect to have to look to "borrow" money to extend visas etc. As I said in my last post
    I think the more people that are struggling and can bring to their M.P.s, M.E.P.s attention that they are in a predicament with paying to keep their own family together, but are also expected to pay for not only their own relationship, but also for any immigrant or assylum seeker that passes the UK's borders or indeed for the policing of the borders without any further burden to other "Non-immigrant" tax payers would have a chance to swing around the way things are going.

Rather than see ILR being £3,500 next year and a perfect grasp of the English language at £500 a test and £5,000 a course, I would way prefer to see someone benefit from Legal Aid and take the so and so's to Court to get a presedence over the unfair situation that people with limited income are being caused to suffer over.

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ

Ian,
    I would love not to have to look at council housing. I'm lucky at the moment as where I am is really nice. Next time round I might not be so lucky !
    The average rent for a 2 bed house privately here is around 400 - 450 / month. A council property would be around 280. That saving will help pay for ESOL/ILR for Nid.
    I dont mind paying for the visas but it shouldn't be so much. The argument that the prospective benefits to the applicant of ILR make it a price worth paying is dubious - Nid has already been paying Tax and NI since April.
    My next mission is trying to understand the working tax credits - so I might not be around for a while

Rob
    Honour good men, be courteous to all men, bow down to none.