Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Rookie มือใหม่

I am looking for a Thai phsiciatrist or a phsiciatrist that has understanding and empathy with Thai culture.
    Can anyone help please.

Impossible to answer your question unless you indicate in which country you are looking i.e. where do you live? Your profile gives no clues either. Would you not need a psychiatrist who understands both cultures?

Dave.

Rookie มือใหม่

Thanks for replying - we live in the UK - my wife is Thai - it is for her that we need a doc that has empathy with Thai culture with regard to curses placed by Thai's on other Thais.
    Very difficult one I know. Any help would be much appreciated

Blog Entries

Hi, hard one to deal with but i feel that the services of a psychologist as opposed to a psychiatrist would be more suitable to your situation. My rationale behind this is that a psyciatrist generally works in hospitals and deals with mental issues (depressed / suicidal etc) and prescribes medicines for treatment (this is my basic deffinition and probably not very well explained). A psychologist deals with matters of the mind (i know this probably sounds like a subtle difference but there is difference) and tries to establish the origins of the issues, from there hopefully solutions can be established. This can be a very long drawn out process and i would imagine possibly quite expensive. I personally don't know of any Thai nationals practicing in the UK, but thats not to sy there aren't any.

My Dad is a Psychologist but located in the North East of Scotland. Can you elaborate as to a better location in the UK such as county or city. I appreciate you may not wish to share to many details on here particularly when dealing with sensitive private matters.

Have you thought about approaching a local temple for adivce?

Regards Ally.
    "Don't buy the sun"

Rookie มือใหม่

Hi Ally
    Thank you so much for your suggestion. A psychologist might well be of some use.
    We have a meeting with our doctor next Wednesday and he might suggest something similar. In fact it is from his suggestion of trying to find someone with knowledge of Thai culture that I'm on this quest.
    We live in the midlands.
    I have approached a Budhist temple, spoken to the head guy, who is in fact a Brit. Nice guy who is very much of the opinion that the problem is a cultural/belief system one and needs to be dealt with back in Thailand rather than the psychiatrist/pills route.
    Anyway, onward and forward - we shall see where all this leads. I just feel completely out of my depth here and just hope anything we go for doesn't make her worse - she doesn't deserve any of this. She is such a lovely person.
    From my extensive surfing on the web I realise that this type of thing is very prevalent in south east asia. On U-Tube there are several videos of Budhist exorcisms - frightening. But one thing I am utterly sure of is that this is all very real to my wife, and becoming unbearable.
    Thanks again for your suggestion - most appreciated.

To my mind, the only people that can help are the monks at the temple. It might be unfortunate you spoke to a British monk. Any worries my wife has, along the lines of your own, a talk with, or a ceremony performed by, a thai monk, especially one of known stature in the community, solves all problems. For example, having your house, your car, your business, blessed by a thai monk, protects against all future problems, and clears up past ones. Go back to the temple, find the most experienced Thai monk,and get your wife to speak to him. I'm sure it will help

I am not an expert, nor a professional, and I don't know your specifics re. this problem, but with thai culture and superstition, and the opinion of my wife,who is 50 y.o., the temple is the route.

Good Luck. Dave

I omitted to mention my wife is Thai. Also I don't know the Birminham Temple. If non are available, there are plenty of Thai monks at the Thai Temple in Wimbledon.

Good Luck. Dave

Rookie มือใหม่

Hi Dave
    Thank you for your ideas and please thank your wife. I am going to try and find a Monk to advise us. From all I have learnt via the web and this community it will be a very interesting chat with our local doctor on Wednesday!!
    Cheers
    Mike

try one of these:

Temples

The one at Kings Bromley is nice, the one at Salford (Manchester) is good. I believe they all have Thai monks apart from the one at Warwick.

Rookie มือใหม่

Thanks Big Red - I will be contacting some temples following these suggestions. Hell of a learning curve this is!!
    Cheers
    Mike

Hi , I think Dave is 100% correct. Its a Temple/monks you want. The thing is curses or curse removal is not actually a proper Budhist thing. This is not the time for a discussion of Thai style Budhism suffice to say there are many more ancient elements for example spirit houses amulets etc. Magic is real to many Thais. Aom use to go to healers at the temple and my wife Sea thinks such things are completely normal. I am not a believer in such stuff by any means but if its real for others...... Maybe if there is not a "powerful" enough monk in the UK your wife may benefit from a holiday at home.

All the best

Richard
    It takes courage to grow up and turn out to be who you really are

Rookie มือใหม่

Hi Richard
    Yes I utterly agree with you - if its real to them etc. I think in the end we'll need to go and have it fixed in Thailand but I'm going to try to find a monk here that can help in the meantime.
    Cheers and thanks
    Mike

Rookie มือใหม่

Hi all
    We went to a temple today to see a monk. He was very kind and I think was of help to my wife. He said that he was not able to take away the curse that troubles her but suggested ways she could fight it herself by being positive etc.
    Although this was helpful she still wants to find a monk that can exorcise the 'evil spirits' that attack her. She believes this is possible.
    Does anyone know of such a monk within a temple in the UK?
    Thanks

My wife, who lived in Essex for 14 years does not know of anyone in the UK. This does not mean there isn't a monk there somewhere who can help.

It would help Nee, my wife, if she knew what area of Thailand your wife comes from e.g. southern part of Isaan,is she khmern?

Nee thinks you may have to return to Thailand to find an experienced "exorcist" monk.

Thai culture is full of superstitions and strong belief in them. No western logic will overcome this.

Dave.

It would help Nee, my wife, if she knew what area of Thailand your wife comes from e.g. southern part of Isaan,is she khmern?
    I too would guess somwehere east of Buriram.

Rookie มือใหม่

Hi Dave
    Originally she is from Ayutia but spent most of her life in Bangkok.
    Cheers
    Mike

Mike, The Ayutthaya/Bangkok connection, unfortunately was no help to Nee.I have spent some time talking to people here in Thailand. One thing that emerged, was that, without knowing specifics, your wife could be suffering from a medical problem, so do not change your original plans of consulting a doctor, as a first step. On this forum we are giving you advice based on our own experiences, without knowing the full specifics of your problem. I am not asking you to divulge any specifics, but just to take what you read here,and follow your own judgement. I stand by the advice I gave in my previous posts. Dave.

Rookie มือใหม่

Hi Dave
    Thanks for the advice. I know what you're saying and with my western perceptions I agree. We are seeing our doctor on wednesday. I suppose I'm keeping all options open at the moment. The problem comes from a supposed curse placed on her before she left Thailand to live in the UK (14ish years ago) It affects her by voices in her head, bad dreams etc. She is not schizo - but is seriously troubled.
    When we were last in Thailand (a few months ago) her family (without me knowing) took her to be 'exorcised' by a cousin/brother. Initially she felt better, for about a week, but then the symptoms returned considerably worse. That is why I'm trying to find a solution here in the UK. My wife seems to think that she needs to go back to Thailand for more of the same. That fills me with dread.
    But again thanks for your input - it is very much appreciated. Regards to your wife.

My wife seems to think that she needs to go back to Thailand for more of the same.
    I suspect she might be right...

Has she got any sak yant? If not,there might be a practitioner here who could execute one in ink/oil for her,which might put her mind at rest.

Rookie มือใหม่

Ok Steve - Sak Yant - forgive me but I have no idea what that is.