Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Rookie มือใหม่

Hi Steve
    Looked it up - understand. Just another thing I didn't know and now I do - like I said 'hell of a learning curve!
    Cheers
    Mike

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ

May be a silly sugestion, have you thought of taking her to a Thai Hypnotist? as somebody has put the thoughts in her head and he could remove them.
    (never ever steal! the government hates the competition.)

Is it really a phsychiatrist your wife needs? They tend to deal with people with mental illnesses. A psychotherapist or good counsellor might be what is needed. you will be unlikely to find any Thai ones, but many British ones are very good and used to dealing with all sorts of cultures and issues. If you do go down that route, if you do not feel the counsellor is right for you, do not hesitate to try another one rather than pressing on.

While Thai people do take magic seriously, if it is becoming a much deeper problem it seems to me it reflects aspects of your wife's personality or her past experiences. Someone in a better frame of mind might be able to shrug it off. I would also suggest that if this is getting her down you might ask the doctor for some anti depressants. Thais do not really like this sort of thing, but from perosnal experience I know it helps.

I would be quite careful about seeing some kind of monk or witch doctor. In my experience they are just as likely to say that there is nothing she can do and she needs to accept her karma - not a lot of help!

A suggestion:

http://www.thaiconsult.co.uk/#Experience might be worth a look - although note they are not qualified counsellors.

He is a Thai speaker ( not sure if he is Thai ) and NHS so you will need a referal

http://www.bps.org.uk/e-services/find-a-psychologist/di...layoutMode=directory

Richard
    It takes courage to grow up and turn out to be who you really are

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ

If you live in the UK the best place to solve the problem is the UK.

Duster, That's obviously the solution then. This guy's in trouble. I'm sure he will explore all possibilities in the UK. My suggestion was more of a last resort. Have you any less vague suggestions that might help his wife? Dave

Rookie มือใหม่

Thanks everyone again.
    Went to see the Doc this morning - mild sedative to help her cope with the stress of this - STRONG SEDATIVE to help me cope with this!
    Seriously - we're going to see a Hypno - therapist on Tuesday next - he has lived in Thailand, India, Japan and China - so he is very aware of this problem. He feels he can help her as long as she has a degree of belief that he can. I know that all she wants is to be rid of it and doesn't really care which method does it, so I'm slightly hopeful here.
    Pills will calm it down a lot - been there before - but make her feel like a Zombie - that is a last resort in the UK solutions.
    Yup I am trying solutions in the UK at the moment as we're stuck here till Easter but then if nothing has helped we try the Thai way (bit fearful of that cos I don't understand it at all)
    Anyway just thought I'd bring everyone, that has been so kind and helpful, up to date. I will keep this post up to date with progress. Maybe there are other Thais out there with a similar problem and reading through these events might be of help to them as well.
    Cheers and thanks
    Mike

Blog Entries

That all sounds very positive Mike, let's hope all goes well. Such situations can be very stressful on the individuals concerned. Good luck
    Tobias - โทเบียส

Mike, so pleased to hear you're making some progress. Good luck.
    Dave.

Originally posted by Muzoman:
    Thanks for replying - we live in the UK - my wife is Thai - it is for her that we need a doc that has empathy with Thai culture with regard to curses placed by Thai's on other Thais.
    Very difficult one I know. Any help would be much appreciated
    Keeping the Five Precepts may be her best defence against curses.
    We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors; we borrow it from our children.

Hi Vinny,

Indeed, adherance to the five precepts are the best thing all round for any and every situation and for everyone. I quite agree.

But I think, in this particular case, that message needs to come from someone expert in the specific field being discussed.

However, you are of course, quite right, that (though it doesn't provide an ultimate escape) keeping the precepts is the best way to ensure an easier road through samsara.

All the best,

Keeping the Five Precepts may be her best defence against curses.
    or breast feeding.....
    If you're offended by any assistance I give, it says far more about you than it does me.

Member สมาชิก

This is my opinion....for what it's worth.....

Your wife is experiencing some psychological problem or mental illness at the moment. (Incidentally, don't they say that quite a high percentage of us will do so in their lives). She comes from a Buddhist country which also has some animism (not sure if I am 100% correct here) and strongly prevalent superstitions thrown in. She is very well aware that there's something wrong and she is attempting to make sense of things through here own world view which is as I crudely describe above. I think that she needs proffessional help and as you mention at the beginning....it will ideally be with somebody knowing at least a little about Thai culture/superstion/religion.

PS I experienced a form of mental disorder.....and I viewed it through Christian 'glasses' and made sense of it in that way. I don't think going to see my priest would cure it although undoubtedly it would have been comforting. The best thing that happened to me was finding a book written about the condition and seeing that there so many others from all cultures experiencing the same kinds of thoughts. I am talking about OCD by the way.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obsessi...lsive_disorder .

Muzoman,
    I wish you and your wife well.

Rookie มือใหม่

Hi everyone and thanks for the recent contributions.
    I have just read about OCD - very interesting actually. But it's probably me that's got that - in common with David Beckham I read.
    Bad day today, voices very strong and intrusive.
    Anyway we will see what happens on Tuesday with the hypnotherapist. If that has no effect I think it's back to the doctor for medical help to assist her in coping until we can get back to Thailand.
    Just to add to all this confusion and to partly explain why I haven't just belted round to the nearest phsyco.
    If my wife was english, with no foreign cultural complications, I would have done that. It would have been my only option I think. BUT:
    These voices - they tell her things - for example she was on the phone to her sister in Thailand - the voices showed her a picture in her head of her sisters child sitting close to her sister wearing a pink top. She asked her sister if her daughter was wearing a pink top - yes she was. (Yep I know pink for a girl etc, but apparently she does have other coloured tops as well) Simple I know, but this happens all the time. The voices tell her that her mother is not well - she calls her mother who confirms she is not well. This type of telepathic communication via the voices has happened far too much to be pure coincidence. My english perceptions tell me this is all *******s - but it's not - it's real, very real to my wife.
    Maybe she is right and the only way to get rid of 'it'/'them' is back in Thailand via some ritual. There is so much we don't understand and I am doing my best to not have a closed western mind.
    Oh the joys of the East.
    Mike

Whilst "there are more things in heaven and earth"...you could try to rationalise the coloured top thing.

You are aware that every day of the week has a designated colour. It is not uncommon for thais to wear shirts of the colour corresponding to the day,especially if they are children or in more rural areas,or that day has some significance for them (the day of their birth for example). Your wife often asks this of her sister when chatting-"is she wearing red today,it's Sunday" and her sister picks up on this and wants to reassure your wife that there is some familiarity in the strange world of isolation she has now entered. Thus when your wife calls her sister confirms that her daughter is wearing the colour appropriate shirt to the day,or close to it.

Just a thought.

We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors; we borrow it from our children.

Member สมาชิก

Originally posted by Muzoman:
    Hi everyone and thanks for the recent contributions.
    I have just read about OCD - very interesting actually. But it's probably me that's got that - in common with David Beckham I read.
    Bad day today, voices very strong and intrusive.
    Anyway we will see what happens on Tuesday with the hypnotherapist. If that has no effect I think it's back to the doctor for medical help to assist her in coping until we can get back to Thailand.
    Just to add to all this confusion and to partly explain why I haven't just belted round to the nearest phsyco.
    If my wife was english, with no foreign cultural complications, I would have done that. It would have been my only option I think. BUT:
    These voices - they tell her things - for example she was on the phone to her sister in Thailand - the voices showed her a picture in her head of her sisters child sitting close to her sister wearing a pink top. She asked her sister if her daughter was wearing a pink top - yes she was. (Yep I know pink for a girl etc, but apparently she does have other coloured tops as well) Simple I know, but this happens all the time. The voices tell her that her mother is not well - she calls her mother who confirms she is not well. This type of telepathic communication via the voices has happened far too much to be pure coincidence. My english perceptions tell me this is all *******s - but it's not - it's real, very real to my wife.
    From what you describe, this 'condition' is an assett. Telling her things that are helpfull ie that her mum is ill which was actually true and the neutral piece of info regarding the pink top. But I suppose there is more to it.....the 'voices' are rather intrusive aren't they? Are they telling her things which don't transpire to be true? Does she have to perform rituals to rid herself of the thoughts?

You mentioned Beckham as a sufferer of OCD....he may well be but I don't think so to the degree which is 'cripling' or he would't be a multi-millionaire through being a sportsman. Rather, he'd be a wreck sitting at home with an irrational obsession about god knows what....only limited by the imagination.

Hope you or rather your wife is making some progress.

Rookie มือใหม่

Hi everyone
    Went to see a phsychiatrist today. Asian lady. Brilliant. She confirmed my wife is not mentally ill. She feels it all started 16 years ago with post natal depression that was never properly treated at the time. Everything since then has fed on this and got all mixed up with cultural beliefs, curses etc. She does not think going through a faith type healing thingy in Thailand by a family member who my wife trusts will do any harm, and might well do some good, mainly because of the fact fact that my wife believes it will. So we will be going back to Thailand in January whilst at the same time she is on a pill for depression (lowish dose) We will see the doc again before we go and again when we return.
    I feel much re-assured by this Indian lady and we will now run the course and see where it leads.
    I will let everyone know how we get on because as I said before it might be of use to someone else who is trying to deal with this type of thing.
    Cheers and have a good Christmas
    Mike

Blog Entries

That's excellent news Mike, fingers crossed for you
    Tobias - โทเบียส