Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: esol question

Blog Entries

Originally posted by Dowza:
    .... When you refer to ''Citizenship Test'' is that the same thing as what some people refer to as the Life in the Uk Test ?
    It is Dowza.

Certainly worth asking around to see if there is somewhere more local that offers the combined course. If she can do that it will remove the need to take the test and take away the associated stress.

I wouldn't hesitate in starting the ESOL course immediately, it will give girlfriend more confidence in her language ability. Once you have applied for FLR (after you are married) she then has 2 years to complete a combined course or pass the test. So time is on your side for now - you will be amazed how much confidence your girlfriend will gain by improving her English.
    Tobias - โทเบียส

Blog Entries

Originally posted by Jack:
    ... Does having the "Magic "C" word" in there mean we are ready to go?
    I think it does Jack, what date is on the letter?
    Tobias - โทเบียส

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ

Thanks for reply Tobias

Letter is dated 17th June 2006 and there is an ESOL certificate from the same college year,

Jack

Blog Entries

That should be fine then Jack, I just wanted to check that the course did not pre-date the Citizenship/Life in the UK test requirements for citizenship.

When your wife applied for her ILR did she have provide evidence then of the Life in the UK stuff or did she apply before the new rule came in?
    Tobias - โทเบียส

Thanks Tobias

It was before new rules, in fact it was 2006 not last year. The time flies past

Thanks again

Jack

Member สมาชิก

Originally posted by Tobias:
    Originally posted by Dowza:
    .... When you refer to ''Citizenship Test'' is that the same thing as what some people refer to as the Life in the Uk Test ?
    It is Dowza.

Certainly worth asking around to see if there is somewhere more local that offers the combined course. If she can do that it will remove the need to take the test and take away the associated stress.

I wouldn't hesitate in starting the ESOL course immediately, it will give girlfriend more confidence in her language ability. Once you have applied for FLR (after you are married) she then has 2 years to complete a combined course or pass the test. So time is on your side for now - you will be amazed how much confidence your girlfriend will gain by improving her English.

Thanks Tobias,

My fiancee is at her course again tonight.

The following paragraph from the ILR application form has been brought to my attention. What do you think ? In my interpretation it would suggest that no courses with citizenship are required, certainly in scotland anyway.

section 5.3 Note 2
    Relevant qualifications are either a pass in the test known as the Life in the UK test; or
    An English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) “Skills for Life” qualification in speaking and listening at Entry Level or
    two ESOL Units at Access Level under the Scottish Credit and Qualifications Framework approved by the Scottish
    Qualifications Authority.
    If you have not reached ESOL Entry Level 3 standard, the evidence of your ESOL qualification will need to include a letter from
    the college confirming that you have progressed by at least one level from the level at which you started, and that the course
    included citizenship materials.

Opinion please

If you have not reached ESOL Entry Level 3 standard, the evidence of your ESOL qualification will need to include a letter from
    the college confirming that you have progressed by at least one level from the level at which you started, and that the course

Opinion please
    Your answer is in the last sentence Included citizenship materials.
    dont judge me by my past, I dont live there anymore.

David & Aree

Member สมาชิก

Originally posted by db1:

Opinion please
    Your answer is in the last sentence Included citizenship mateerials.

Fair enough, It's easily mis-interpreted though.

It goes without saying though that if you have reached ESOL level 3 then your courses need not have included citizenship materials. Is that correct ?

I'd be delighted to have my fiancee educated to ESOL level 3. Learning the language is crucial but as I have said before I feel life in the UK test is completely irrelevant, more so north of the border.

I feel life in the UK test is completely irrelevant, more so north of the border
    If you read the chapters for the life in the UK test you will see that north of the border accounts for a very low percentage of the population (not saying you don't have loud and important voices though)

Member สมาชิก

Originally posted by IanB-UK:
    I feel life in the UK test is completely irrelevant, more so north of the border
    If you read the chapters for the life in the UK test you will see that north of the border accounts for a very low percentage of the population (not saying you don't have loud and important voices though)
    Hello Ian,

I am well aware that the population of England is about 10 times the population of the country I am from, Scotland.

I just feel that there should be a life in Scotland test. I am as different from an Englishman as I am a Frenchman, a German or a Russian.

The Life in England test is completely irrelevant here.

I have no Queen.

I have no Queen.
    I think you need to read the book again!
    John

if you are correct there dowza, does that mean the princess royal has to stop turning up for scottish rugby games at murrayfield?

I would have thought with the amount of Scots "emigrating" to England it is entirely relavant

There is also mention of your Patron Saint St Thing-a-me-jig

I got caught out by what's the population of Scotland,l I said Anti-English

Member สมาชิก

Originally posted by IanB-UK:
    I got caught out by what's the population of Scotland,l I said Anti-English
    I can assure you that I've never met anyone who is anti-English. We like to see you lose at football sure, but that's football rivalry, a bit like your Man Utd and Man City.

Meanwile back at the ranch, Dak's college lecturer has been in touch and has suggested she comes along to one of the modules about to start in level 3 to see how she gets on in addition to the lower lever which Dak is finding really easy.

Anyone want too come to our wedding reception ?
    www.getjealous.com/dowza

Anyone want too come to our wedding reception ?
    Very generous,I hope your seating plan is flexible enough to accommodate us all!
    Interesting blog too,although there are actually 44 consonants representing 21 consonent sounds in the thai alphabet (I think!).

We like to see you lose at football sure, but that's football rivalry, a bit like your Man Utd and Man City.
    I've never understood that because the English always support Scotland at major championships (or attempts to qualify). Must be because we've always had a soft spot for the underdogs
    If you're offended by any assistance I give, it says far more about you than it does me.

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ JohnSwansea's Avatar

Wi8th the Welsh in rugby, the only thing we like to see more than the Welsh winning is the English losing

The two teams I support-
    Wales
    Anyone playing England

Member สมาชิก

So it seems like it’s not only the Scottish that don’t like us English then ,strange how Coventry seems to be made up of Scottish and welsh.

Rolysharks from Derby Dave...probably thinks the whole world is against them!
    Unless of course he,s one of them people who are english with a bit of welsh/scottish/irish ancestry who choose to toe the line and follow the 'auld' country
    I,m sure i,ve got a scotty great granparent or two...but i ain,t scottish thats for sure..doesn,t stop the occaissonal person(usually American )asking if i,m scottish ...baffles me how they can confuse a geordie and scotish accent!(Welsh..I could understand..from a distance the accent does sound similar)