Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ JohnSwansea's Avatar

Below is a link to a story about a guy, his Thai wife and kids going to the local paper because they can't get high enough priority on the Housing List for a larger house. What is very disturbing are the comments of readers (apart from mine of course)
    South Wales Evening Post

Blog Entries

Whilst I am sympathetic of this chap's predicament, I feel he has brought much of what is said against him on himself.

I wonder why he played the 'race' card? I wonder what evidence he has to support that huge allegation?

I haven't noticed any racist remarks from the contributors there ... in fact there are quite a few comments very similar to those we've read here when the Eastern European debate starts going.
    Tobias - โทเบียส

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ Rich & Orasa's Avatar

IMO there's little in the article and reader's comments to justify your choice of thread title John. The husband is the target of readers ire for what they see as his attempt to play the race card in order to get what he wants.

I'm sorry but if someone with a UK family got into the papers - as they do frequently for some housing problem or other you wouldn't get this:
    Why not go over to Thailand im sure you will get a nice council house there along with a great education system and free NHS treatment
    With regard to whether he has played the race card, why would a reporter run this story if there was no substance in it

Member สมาชิก

I thought you had to prove you have suitable accommodation to the ECO before your wife would be granted a visa.

With regard to whether he has played the race card, why would a reporter run this story if there was no substance in it
    For exactly the same reason they run any story to sell papers

ash
    Human beings are seventy percent water, and with some the rest is collagen

few comments very similar to those we've read here when the Eastern European debate starts going.
    I was going to say that if he was from Poland they would probaly have a house by know - BUT since being re educated on this site by the likes of IanB - I know relise the error of my ways

- Skippy

PS
    For the record when I get back To Australia the wife and I can't get govt assistence for 2 years - so guess what no council house for us

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ

I feel he has brought much of what is said against him on himself.
    Agree with that and as for the
    quote:
    Why not go over to Thailand im sure you will get a nice council house there along with a great education system and free NHS treatment
    comment
    That is an obvious observation and in my opinion no way racist.
    It's a pity some people see racism everywhere, it makes it harder to get on with life.
    Just my tuppence worth

Jack

When I read stories like this it reminds me of when I was a child and living with my mother, two brothers, and sister in a two bedroom basement flat in Folkestone. There was always lots of damp on the walls and very over crowded.

I had my own bed in my older brother’s room, with just about enough room to walk in between the beds. My other brother slept on the sofa and my sister slept with my mother. It took 6months to a year to get a council house. Ok that was thirty years ago but I bet some families are still in similar circumstances. So I can not see them being high on the councils or social services priority list.

Playing a racist card the guy is asking for it, sounds like sour grapes to me. IMHO

Of course news papers never tell all the story or often not even the real story so it is always hard to say . However a statement from the article;

“He said he was convinced his family would have a home if they were British.”

will bound to annoy people and get a reaction. I wonder what the letters page was like in the actual paper the week after. (I presume it has come from a local rag)

I also wonder that if the family were of Indian, Black or Eastern European origin would the allegation of racist be more well received ?

Either way the story be it newspaper or web based has generated more interest than it really deserves.

Saying that should I delete this post now

Forum Antiquity ของโบราณ dan&ploy's Avatar

A Crynant husband has accused Neath Port Talbot Council of racial prejudice in its treatment of his Thai bride and her children.
    I am surprised no-one commented on the use of the term Thai Bride.
    The only other place I can recall 'bride' being used instead of 'wife' is Elsa Lanchester being the 'bride' of Frankenstein, but then they never married as I recall.

For exactly the same reason they run any story to sell papers

ash
    I'm sure that's a factor Ash. However, they don't tend to make them up out of nothing either. I still can't understand people who don'r see it as racist to tell a Welsh guy living and working in the UK with his wife to basically "f-off back to Thailand" because he feels he is being discriminated against by the local authority on race grounds. If someone said that to me I'd knock them out. That man has every right to apply for social housing on an equal basis to everyone else. Let's face it - many single guys live in a couple of rooms quite happily. If they meet someone with some kids and bring them to the UK those rooms will start to look very small - and we all know the financial stresses and strrain on Thai/UK relationships. This is why I am surprised that this guy has not had a more sympathetic reception from members in this forum

Blog Entries

The problem with this chap is that he has produced not one single piece of evidence to show there is any racial motive behind the council's position or its policy. The council have explained their policy, a policy which is entirely consistent with the law.

Why should he be given priority over others in a similar (or worse position) just because his wife is from Thailand (or any other country)?

The comment about him applying for similar housing in Bangkok is not racially motivated either - it is a very valid point. He has chosen live where he lives, he has chosen to apply for a council property in that district. If he is not willing to accept the rules and qualifications for living and/or applying for social housing then that is his problem. There are other options open to him - including going to Thailand and applying for social housing there.

And yes, I understand there is more chance of a chicken growing teeth than a Falang getting social housing in Thailand, but that's not the fault of the local authority in Neath Port Talbot.

Here is another response to that article:

"I think the council system is a joke. I have a wife and two children and we rent privately in a 1 bedroom flat. I've been on the waiting list for a year, and been told 'forget trying to get a house in the areas you've chosen' ..."
    Tobias - โทเบียส

Forum Antiquity ของโบราณ dan&ploy's Avatar

And yes, I understand there is chance of a chicken growing teeth than a Falang getting social housing in Thailand, but that s not the fault of the local authority in Neath Port Talbot.
    But his wife could, as Ploy has done getting a government supported loan for her (our) house in Saraburi.

I have been out of the UK for a while now, but I am unsure why he qualifies for council housing at all. If they are both fit and can both work I fail see in what way they are disadvantaged, other than the fact he seems a bit of ❇❇❇❇❇.

Old Hand มือเก่า

I have been out of the UK for a while now, but I am unsure why he qualifies for council housing at all.
    It just seems to be the natural sense of 'entitlement' and lack of any personal responsibility that many people have these days.

My Grandparents, parents and I did without if we had no money, as I think did the vast majority of people in the same generations, these days even the poorest expect plasma tv's, game consoles, yearly trips to Florida and many don't care less that they are afforded to them by the rest of society subsidising it.

these days even the poorest expect plasma tv's, game consoles, yearly trips to Florida and many don't care less that they are afforded to them by the rest of society subsidising it.

Just like the parasites running the country then except its not subsidized for them its paid for in full
    ash
    Human beings are seventy percent water, and with some the rest is collagen

The man has been applying since February and yet he doesn't have a new council house thats disgraceful.
    All i can say is welcome to the real world many people have to wait more than 10 years not 4 to 5 months.

Me and Nid have been on the waiting list for 12 months now to move from my flat to 2 bed house due to the baby's arrival. A suitable house came up this month in the same village where I live ( and have lived all my life ), and it was let to a homeless African family. I was told there was no chance I would get it, not due to any racial reasons at all but due to the councils responsibility to house homeless people first.
    It was disappointing but at the end of the day you have to accept it. I never dreamed of making a racial issue out of the situation.
    My only gripe to the local TRA representative was that having always talked about building strong communities it appears impossible for the council to achieve this given the current rules on allocations.
    Anyhow there is hope for us - now that the price of houses is falling nicely it is us poor people who might benefit.
    Hoping for another 10 - 15 % decline in the next 6 months

Rob
    Honour good men, be courteous to all men, bow down to none.

Well I think some people here are taking tarot readings about this guy and his character. And noone appears to think there could be any possibility that he has a case. I am sure that none of you have encountered racism of any kind - and it couldn't possibly happen to you in the future. If by some slim chance it does, then don't bother posting here - you're on your own.
    I'm going to make a point of trying to see who knows this guy and maybe get some information that hasn't been published. If there's anything of interest I'll let you know.

John,
    I dont think he has a case at all against the council and was misguided to think race played a part in their decision.
    Our position on the list also varies from day to day due to the number of homeless also varying. Its that simple.
    The comments levelled at him are brought on by his own actions, although the language used in some is inexcusable.
    But ignorance pervades our society whether Thais, Eastern Europeans or even Muslims are being discussed.

Rob
    Honour good men, be courteous to all men, bow down to none.

Blog Entries

Originally posted by JohnSwansea:
    ... And noone appears to think there could be any possibility that he has a case. I am sure that none of you have encountered racism of any kind - and it couldn't possibly happen to you in the future...
    But the problem is John that there is no evidence of any racism. Why is it racism? Even the chap himself said "... I don't know what the problem is, I don't know if it's a racial thing..." and "... There is nothing more we could do but still the council ignores us. I can only think that the council is being racist...".

So there is nothing in that article pointing to a racial motive, and even the chap himself says he doesn't know what the problem is. The council have even explained the reason why he remains on the housing list after nearly 5 months.

Let me ask you a question, what is the motive for the council not giving Marc, Llansamlet a property? He only has a 1 bedroom flat for him, his wife and 2 children and he's been on the same waiting list for over a year! Why should the man with the Thai wife and 2 bedrooms have priority over this other man with only 1 bedroom? Surely the second man is a higher priority?

The simple fact of the matter is this is not a racial issue. It appears to me that this man might be playing the 'race card' in an effort to jump the queue - because there is certainly no evidence to suggest racism in any form.
    Tobias - โทเบียส