Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Member สมาชิก

This topic has been covered quite extensively before, and from looking back at what has been posted it would seem that the deciding factor as to whether dual Thai nationals living abroad are called for 'the draw' or not is whether they are registered on a tabien bahn document in Thailand. Have I understood this correctly? We are living in England now, but we were living in Thailand for the first 3 months of my son's life and his name is still on the tabien bahn there. Is it correct to say that the only way to guarantee he won't be called for national service is to remove him from the tabien bahn? Does anybody know what the implications of doing this are? My wife's Thai friend, also living in England said that doing that would basically remove all his rights in Thailand. Thanks for any advice.

Member สมาชิก

This topic has been covered quite extensively before, and from looking back at what has been posted it would seem that the deciding factor as to whether dual Thai nationals living abroad are called for 'the draw' or not is whether they are registered on a tabien bahn document in Thailand. Have I understood this correctly? We are living in England now, but we were living in Thailand for the first 3 months of my son's life and his name is still on the tabien bahn there. Is it correct to say that the only way to guarantee he won't be called for national service is to remove him from the tabien bahn? Does anybody know what the implications of doing this are? My wife's Thai friend, also living in England said that doing that would basically remove all his rights in Thailand. Thanks for any advice.

Have I understood this correctly?
    Yes. If he's on the register, he'll have to do conscription.

I don't know if it's possible to 'remove' oneself from the house registration. I know you can move to another address but I'm not sure about 'disappearing.'

My advice would be to have a good think about the implications about removing all his ties to LOS. Thai citizenship is by no means the easiest to get. Things are very difficult to do in LOS (esp business) if you don't have Thai nationality.

Keep us posted as I'd be interested to know how he gets on.

Packpao

P.S. You don't mention how old your son is. If he's quite young perhaps the law will change when he comes of age.

Old Hand มือเก่า

There are exceptions to get out of conscription. One of the requirements is that you speak, read and write fluent Thai. Obviously a Thai person living in the UK for 20 years might fit this description.

Steve,

are there any other requirements? I would have thought most people in LOS can read/write/speak fluent Thai.

Forgot to mention...Something I found with military conscription in LOS is that you'll hear many different things from different people, especially the Sasadee (military conscription office) at your district/Amphur office.
    In saying this, I don't mean to discredit your post in anyway Steve.

Packpao

Old Hand มือเก่า

That's the reason for the exception though - most Thais are fluent, but a Thai person that is brought up in the UK might not be. You cannot expect them to be put into life threatening situations such as combat training, weapons handling etc when they don't understand Thai.

I did hear you could make a payment to avoid Military service. I have no idea if this is correct but if it has some credence no doubt someone on here will know about it.
    In hoc signo crucis vinces

Although he may need to present himself for military selection, not everyone present on the day will be selected to serve. Potential conscriptees must choose a coloured card from a box: those who pick one colour get to serve in the military and those who pick the other get to go home. It's that easy. Thaiboi went through this procedure shortly after we met and he didn't need to serve. He has some paperwork to show that he made himself available for military selection. This documentation is apparently quite important as he may have future issues without it.

It may also be worth pointing out that the gay and transgender community is considered unfit for service (source: Pink News). Further, I have heard that you can make an unofficial payment in advance of the military selection day which will 'help' you choose the correct coloured card.
    Cliff - คลิฟฟ์

A couple of trips ago the Famous Tennis player Paradorn (hope that is correct) anyway his nickname is "Balls" - was due do his military service anyway he turned up and they were already full in that Amphur. So I suppose you would have to try and count the number of eligible people in your area and then go down and put your hand up for service after that

- Skippy

Old Hand มือเก่า

I have heard it's common to be able to pre-select you coloured card too dependant on a small donation.