Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Orangesoup

Hi again,

I should explain "Homeless at Home" is a situation where your M-I-L has told you to leave her home (must be in writting). The LA has accepted you are Homeless, however your M-I-L has accepted to continue to house you and your family for a temporary period while the LA seeks to find you a suitable home. The LA saves money by not being in a position of paying (exorbitant) rent for Bed & Breakfast accomodation and you benefit from being placed in the highest ranking queue to be (re-)housed.

However not all LAs operate such a system (not officially at least)

I'm hardly a defender of HA's, I question whether they still undertake the job they were originally set up for?

But Orange's post does demonstrate the difficulties they can have, when everyone else does as she suggests as well. So everyone's case is urgent, pressing and immediate.

I can just imagine how cynical the staff can become. With limited accommodation, how can all these cases be juggled, irrespective of their legal responsibilities?

Meanwhile, those not privvy to such advice with genuine need might just be patiently waiting in the queue, ignorant of what is going on around them.

And then you have those applicants who do provide false information to secure housing - a criminal offence by the way.

As ever, the fraudulent activities of a sizeable minority affect the needy and more attention should be spent dealing with that and fraud in the public housing stock in general -often linked to other frauds/criminal activity.

It won't happen. The conflict being the need for HA's/LA's to raise revenue (Govt. targets etc) against the zilch income they will get when trying to evict those that should be - often on benefits, which may have been stopped in the meantime - which can take about 6 months to achieve.

Easier to look the other way.

What a mess.
    'Tis me

Orangesoup

The Authorities have made it even messier by introducing a system that people "bid" for homes they have only seen advertised in their local newspaper or on the Internet.

The "winner" is the bidder with the highest points and they go on to live in that property. Only to find out later what is wrong with it......

Who would buy a house to live in without viewing it first? Only the foolhardy. But that is how Social Housing allocation is changing and will be that way for the foreseeable future.

Joined-Up Government?

Member สมาชิก

Hi All,

Thank you so much for all support. Anyway, I didn't say anything not true in my application at all. My MIL still hasn't write the letter to them.

It was right that she wrote to them once when I first came here saying that we can stay with her but at that time it was only me and Gary.

2 years on, we have Craig-2 years old son, he is British citizen and now I am pregnant EDD around end of Jan 2008 so with the 2 bed rooms bungalow it's over crowded.

That's the main reason I wrote in my application.

Over crowded, 2 years old son, I am pregnant and a problem between my Trouble Two boy and his Nan. She is 83, he is 2, she wants more time to relax, he wants more time to play around, she takes a nap, he wakes her up. He wants to play football, she doesn't allow him to play in a house. Sometimes it drives me insane LOL

To get her writing the letter will be our last choice IF they can't supply us a house. However, since last Tue till now, I heard nothing from them but I don't expect it will be soon. I have to be patient. Like Gary said a lot more people need house than us. However I still hope we will get it before the new baby born.

Cheers,
    Nana

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ

Caller,
    I accept the issues you raise about the pressure on housing staff to find accomodation and also the need to prevent fraud.
    My sympathy for Nana has nothing to do with these. Its merely about the way she was treated. Nana appears to have been quite within her rights being in that office asking for the service she did, from people with a duty to serve their customers. She simply didnt get that service, and was made to feel uncomfortable.
    I dont see how the wider issues of housing policy can excuse this, nor even a lack of knowledge on the part of the official.
    I can brush things like this off easily when they happen to me, but when my 70 year old mother is upset by someone for no good reason, putting it down to work pressure or government inadequacies doesnt wash !
    I'm sure the majority of housing officials do act professionally, but the ones that cant should be dealt with.

Rob
    Honour good men, be courteous to all men, bow down to none.

Sorry Robert, but I wasn't really addressing that. As Roly says, it won't be the norm for them to deal with visa's posted in passports and not a HO letter - that say's a lot as well.

There's good and bad in both the public and private sector when it comes to customer relations. Just look at the guy that runs Ryanair! Or try to get through to your bank, or deal with an insurance Co. when your boiler breaks down as I did early on Saturday.

But like I say, having at one time been on the other side of the counter - many moons ago, and never for an LA or HA, rightly or wrongly, its gonna happen when you see attempted abuse daily.

I'm not for one minute implying that has anything to do with Nana!

Isn't it nice to know we live in such an honest, law abiding society (not).
    'Tis me

Member สมาชิก

Hi all,

Update my application situation;

They sent me letter about their decision to assess my application point. I was given 45 points from following:

Over crowded = 15
    shared kitchen = 10
    shared toilet/bath = 10
    shared living room = 10

Nothing important at all about I am pregnant and my 2 year olds son cause they didn't count as a point so my husband was absolutely wrong.

45 points is quite far from the top list so I think I will have to wait for years to get the house from them.

I don't know it's kind of discrimination or not because my husband went to see Citizen Advise Bureau 1-2 months ago they did say that the HA has to give us a place because of Craig and I am pregnant but from thier letter and the way they treated me that day it wasn't like that at all. May be they think Thai girl and half Thai-uk kid is more tough than thier own citizen

We are looking for private place now or even think about to apply in other area again. Hope different county HA the staff won't be the same

Nana