Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Member สมาชิก

hi, all i was just wondering if anybody can give me some ideas on what to do , and what not to do whilst driving in thailand , in general from renting etc, im married to a thai so she will be with me most of the time, we are travelling to hua hin on 26th of april from newcastle for 3 weeks if anyone is up for a beer over there then, we are staying at the Hilton Hotel, we have stayed there before, so if anyone ever thinks of staying there believe me it is perfect .thanks in advance

Member สมาชิก

hi, all i was just wondering if anybody can give me some ideas on what to do , and what not to do whilst driving in thailand , in general from renting etc, im married to a thai so she will be with me most of the time, we are travelling to hua hin on 26th of april from newcastle for 3 weeks if anyone is up for a beer over there then, we are staying at the Hilton Hotel, we have stayed there before, so if anyone ever thinks of staying there believe me it is perfect .thanks in advance

Old Hand มือเก่า

Hello,

driving in thailand is easy really especially Bangkok, do not let the other drivers cut you up like here and just remain calm. If someone flashes you though it means get out of my way, they are not letting you go. I have driven both Kates Honda Civic and Toyota Fortuner, it is much easier in the Fortuner as it is bigger and higher.

Be careful when you drive to Hilton Hua Hin, just after the Hilton the road becomes one way, the sign is hidden but as soon as you have gone past it round the corner you will find a policeman waiting to give you a fine. So never turn right out of the Hilton.

We stayed in Sofitel and though that was really nice, preferred it to the Hilton as Sofitel felt more like a resort with three pools I think. Very good customer service with the FOH manager greeting us on arrival, lots of parking also not sure where you park at Hilton.

Enjoy driving

I drove in Thailand for two years but I do not think it is easy - particularly now that the traffic is bad almost everywhere. Between provincial towns cars drive bumper to bumper at full speed. For Hua Hin, it might be better to hire a car when you get there, if you need it, but it is almost as cheap to hire taxis as and when required.

If you do drive to Hua Hin, or if you go by taxi, its great to stop at Petchburi to visit the old palace there (Phra Nakorn Kiri Khan?). Its on the main road, and you get to it via a cliff railway. Once at the top it is a stunningly beautiful place for some fresh air.

Alternatively, try taking the train for a much safer and more relaxing journey, and look out for the Royal waiting room at Hua Hin station.

Ian

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ Simon Parry's Avatar

I've probably driven in the region of 40,000 miles in Thailand over the last 10 years and don't find it a problem at all. However, the things I would recommend are to not use the horn when people cut you up (and don't stick 2 fingers up) as I am sure you know displays of aggression in Thailand are not the done thing, and can escalate quickly. Be respectful of truck drivers and any large vehicle, anticipate other vehicles overtaking against you even on blind bends (and by that I mean keep well to the left on such bends or be ready to move left), be careful of motorbikes pulling across your path without looking, and generally accept that the standards of driving are not as good as in the UK. However, IMHO Thais generally do not drive as fast as here.
    As for car rental, I have my own pick-up there but the only car I have rented was from Thai Rent A Car at the airport - they were very efficient and good value - they met me at the airport as promised, were very friendly, and the car was immaculately valeted with a full tank of juice. Have a great time. Hua Hin is about 150 miles from Bangkok and is an easy drive on excellent roads to give you time to adjust to the driving out there.

Member สมาชิก

I see nobody has mentions the police you better keep a spare two hundred BHT in your pocket. because when they see a farang driving, it’s going to be payday, I am sure they will come up with a good reason, they done me for turning right in the right hand lane, I mean everybody knows you should do it from the left lane it’s much easier to cut people up that way LOL.

I only ever drove in the UK and never abroard until Thailand. I like to be confident (and sober) in driving and whenever abroard lacked both. Eventually decided to take the bull by the horns and give it a go when we were in Udon Thani one year. Best thing I ever did, even though daunted at first and especially worried about pot holes, animals, pedestrians and motorbikes, I now find it easier driving there than here (Never Driven in Bangkok though, regularly through Udon Thani)!

I am a courteous driver (give way rather than force in) and find that the majority of times driving the Thais are the same.

Thee rules to stick by:

1) make sure you have licence, IDP (International Driving Permit) and Insurance.

2) Give way to others and use your mirrors.

3) Remain Sober and alert.

Driven thousands of miles in Thailand (do about 1000 a week in UK) and never been fined by the police, had an accident or suffered road rage!

Drive carefully and you should be fine.

Veteran ผู้มีประสบการณ์

3) Remain Sober and alert.
    You will never be a proper Thai driver with that attitude
    Lucky

Drive defensively and don't assume that the car in front , behind or to the side is going to do what you expect.

Seriously driving in Thailand is easy even in the Bangkok rush hour but be careful out there.
    ash
    Human beings are seventy percent water, and with some the rest is collagen