Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Rookie มือใหม่

Hi Everyone

My wife has been here in the UK for 4 years and recently passed her "Life in the UK" test. She would like to apply for British Citizenship for herself and her two children. The thing is that her children did not arrive here at the same time as their mother and have only lived in the UK for 2 years. When they came they were given ILR visas immediately because their mother had ILR.
    Does anyone know if the childen qualify for British Citizenship already or would they have to wait to apply until they have been here themselves for 3 years?

Any advice appreciated!

Rob.

Rookie มือใหม่

Hi Everyone

My wife has been here in the UK for 4 years and recently passed her "Life in the UK" test. She would like to apply for British Citizenship for herself and her two children. The thing is that her children did not arrive here at the same time as their mother and have only lived in the UK for 2 years. When they came they were given ILR visas immediately because their mother had ILR.
    Does anyone know if the childen qualify for British Citizenship already or would they have to wait to apply until they have been here themselves for 3 years?

Any advice appreciated!

Rob.

Blog Entries

It all depends on the ages of the children. What are there current ages?
    Tobias - โทเบียส

Rookie มือใหม่

The children are aged 12 and 8.

Blog Entries

There is no problem at those ages. They can all apply together.
    Tobias - โทเบียส

Rookie มือใหม่

Thanks for that.
    One more question, does the 8 year old need to have section 5 (the referees and identity section) filled in and photo attached?

The reason I ask this is because in the guide for form MN1 when you get to section 4 it says if the child is under the age of 10 then skip to section 5. Then when you get to section 5 it says "an application for a child aged 10 or over must be supported by two referees and a recent passport sized photograph.."

I take this to mean that a child under 10 does not need this section to be filled in, but on the other hand if that's the case why didn't the guide tell me to skip to section 6?
    Sorry if I am asking silly questions but I really worry about messing up these forms!

Thanks

Rob.

Rob, the whole thing is a nonsense. IND, as it was then, acknowledged months ago that the form MN1 needed further revision. The version issued December 2006 is clearly deficient but we are still waiting for a new version of the form.

Currently the form asks for the referees to certify that they have known the child for 3 years, but there is no requirement for the child to have lived in the UK for that length of time. For a child 12 or less there is no residence requirement, and for one 13 to 17 there is a 2-year requirement. So what person was it that designed the form to ask for the referees to have known the child for 3 years?

If I were you I would write on the form about the wording of the guidance you mention, and not get referees to complete.

Hopefully a well-thought-out version of the MN1 will appear soon.
    John

Rookie มือใหม่

Yes John, the three year stipulation is another aspect of the form which has been troubling me. How can I get referees even for the 12 year old child because there is no persons in this land who can certify they have known either child for 3 years.

I was thinking that I might ask the 12 year olds teachers to certify but state on the form that they have only known him since he started the school last September.

Do you think that would be the best way forward or would you suggest not having referees on either childs form and stating that there are no available referees who can certify what they're asking for.

Rob.

..... you suggest not having referees on either childs form and stating that there are no available referees who can certify what they're asking for.
    That is the way I would play it. Put that on to the form itself, and also enclose a covering letter explaining the problem.

I know of one pair of children, for whom the new MN1 form was submitted in January, with the referees section not being completed properly, who succeeded in getting Registered as British. They heard in February that such applications had been successful.
    John

Rookie มือใหม่

Hi John,

Do you happen to know, were either of the pair of children that you mentioned over the age of 10 years old at the time of application?

Rob.