Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Rookie มือใหม่

I will soon be divorce & wish to marry in Thailand asap.
    HOw soon can I do this?
    According to the Thai Embassy guidelines:
    ----
    # A widow or divorcee will be permitted to remarry not less than 310 days after the previous marriage has expired, unless

* Has given birth to a child.
    * Remarrying the same person.
    * Not pregnant, as certified by doctor. (in case of early remarriage)
    * Approval to remarry from a court is obtained.
    ---
    Does the above apply to a non-Thai national?
    If so, how do I obtain "approval to remarry from a court"? Must this be from a Thai court?

I am asking for clarification because various sources have given me contradictory answers.
    Can anyone help?

Cheers & Thanks in Advance.
    Brian

Blog Entries

Who is to marry

That rule applies to women only.
    Tobias - โทเบียส
    It’s better to be 6 feet apart than to be 6 feet under.

Banned

Are you female?

If so, then a medical certificate showing that you are not pregnant will suffice. No need for a court as it is one of the items on the list that is required, not all of them.

If you are male then this does not apply to you as men cannot get pregnant.

The rule is there to prevent possible disputes over paternity if a divorced woman gives birth shortly after remarrying.

Rookie มือใหม่

All,

Sorry for the confusion.
    I am male.

Because "divorcee" can apply to both male & female, I need clarification regarding whether or not I, who will be a divorcee soon, can get married in Thailand to a Thai national, without having to wait for more than 310 days after being officially divorced.

Thanks all,
    Brian

Blog Entries

Actually Bri, a divorcée is traditionally a term applied to a divorced female, the masculine version being divorcé. In very recent times however the use of the term has begun, in some cultures, to include the male.

As for your purposes however, what Nick says above is correct.
    Tobias - โทเบียส
    It’s better to be 6 feet apart than to be 6 feet under.

Rookie มือใหม่

Thanks all for replying, I appreciate it.
    Presumably I can take my decree absolute (proof of divorce) with me to Thailand & it will be required to be translated.

Cheers,
    Brian

Banned

As you are male and therefore it is impossible for you to be pregnant you do not need to wait 310 days after your divorce to make sure that you are not pregnant before you can marry in Thailand.

When you sign your Affirmation of Freedom to Marry at the British embassy they will want to see your decree absolute (original or certified copy). However, as the consular staff are all British there is no need to have it translated.

You will then need to have the AFM translated into Thai and certified by the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

See this page from the embassy website.

Brian, Have you registered your wish to marry with the UK government?
    I am sure I have read somewhere that those wishing to marry now must first obtain "permission" from the government before travelling to get married.

I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong but....
    Bye Bye EU Day 31st December 2020 (11 p.m.)

Gary,

You're wrong

Fiancee Visas are a little aside regarding what you can, not need to, arrange in the UK beforehand.

You do need to do the "bit" at the British Embassy in the foreign country though and hence need to make sure you have all the relevent paperwork before you travel!

In addition to the "paper" regulations now you also need to take into consideration cost and age differences to those that would apply within the UK.

Gary, you are wrong .... at the moment! But you are right to think that the UK Government is going to introduce a scheme, but no start date has yet been announced.

Also it will not be a question of "first obtain "permission" from the government before travelling to get married". They will not refuse, that is not the point, but unless the person does register (after the scheme has started) their spouse will not be able to obtain a spouse visa.

All this is to do with stopping forced marriages. Sometimes, regretfully, someone is taken abroad supposedly on holiday, but really their family intend to marry them off. This registration scheme will effectively stop this sort of thing, given that going on to get the spouse visa for the non-UK spouse is an integral part of the plan.

Yes, I know, I know, there is no forced marriage in Thailand! Nor indeed in US, Australia, etc etc .... but the Government is intending to bring the registration scheme in on a worldwide basis.
    John

Banned

Originally posted by IanB-UK:
    You do need to do the "bit" at the British Embassy in the foreign country though
    Isn't the 'bit' at the embassy a requirement of Thai law, not UK law?
    Originally posted by John:
    unless the person does register (after the scheme has started) their spouse will not be able to obtain a spouse visa.
    When I left the UK in March 2000 I had no intention of getting married, indeed had not even met Noi. We met each other in April, married in September and Noi submitted her spouse visa application in October. All without me returning to the UK.

Under these proposals, would a couple in a similar situation be unable to obtain a spouse visa?
    Could the Brit register their intention to marry at the local British embassy, or would they first have to return to the UK?
    What about someone who has lived for some time, perhaps years, in a foreign country, been married to a national of that country for some time and now wishes to return home with their spouse?

Whilst I have every sympathy with the victim of a forced marriage, and agree that the government should make every effort to protect victims from this abuse, it does seem that once again they are using a sledgehammer to crack a nut. I know the Grauniad reading PC brigade would shout 'racism' but why should everyone be penalised to prevent what is a crime specific to certain countries?

Brian, sorry if my post had you worried but I know I had heard something and I thought better to raise my concern and someone put me right.

At least I was half (quarter) right Ian/John thanks for correcting me.
    Bye Bye EU Day 31st December 2020 (11 p.m.)