Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Member สมาชิก

Hi all,
    After constantly being questioned by friends and family as to if i am claiming child benefit/tax credits for my two children who live full time in thailand,and constantly replying that i am not as i don't think it is possible,then being roundly critisised for not doing so as i should be.
    Please could someone help clear this up and help me with a definitive answer once and for all.
    By the way i still work aproxx 6-8 mths a year in uk and pay all the regular tax and NI contribuions.
    Thanks in advance.

Member สมาชิก

Hi all,
    After constantly being questioned by friends and family as to if i am claiming child benefit/tax credits for my two children who live full time in thailand,and constantly replying that i am not as i don't think it is possible,then being roundly critisised for not doing so as i should be.
    Please could someone help clear this up and help me with a definitive answer once and for all.
    By the way i still work aproxx 6-8 mths a year in uk and pay all the regular tax and NI contribuions.
    Thanks in advance.

Rookie มือใหม่

Hi yakyak,

If your kids are permanently resident in Thailand, you will not be eligible for Child Benefit for them of that i am 100% sure unless you are a member of the British forces or a Crown civil servant.
    pom rak thailand

yakyak, Garibadi is right, the children have to be living in the UK in order for it to be possible to claim for them.

The only exception is that if they are normally living here, and then go abroad for a period of less than 8 weeks, then it is possible to claim for them even while they are abroad. But this does not fit your circumstance.

But it is quite handy for those living here in the UK who take their annual holiday in Europe, or Thailand, or wherever, because the benefits can continue to be paid even while the child is abroad.
    John

Premium Member

YAKYAK

Sorry to ambush your thread……but I too have some questions to ask about child benefit and tax credits.
    Kat and Adam have been here for three weeks now on 2 year settlement visas. Adam is two and a half years old, and my step-son.
    Q1. Child Benefit form Part 4 “are you planning to adopt any of the children?”
    I do not see any benefit adopting Adam, maybe have his surname changed at some point. Does this make any difference to the application? Part 3 of the form states that “Stepchildren count as your own”.

Q2. Tax Credits Form part 1.5, Does Kat have to have a National Insurance Number before we can claim?.
    Q3, Tax Credits Form part 1.8 “Your Partner” “Have you been subject to immigration control in the last three months?”. I would assume this would be “YES” as Kats visa started on 11th April this year.
    Q4. Tax Credits Form part 5.3, as Kat is on a 2 year visa and has no recourse to public funds, do I have to fill in her earnings from Thailand for last year?

Thanks
    Mark

Using your numbering :-

1. It makes no difference. Answer "no" if that is the true answer. And just to clarify, given that Child Benefit is claimed by one person, is it you and not your wife who is claiming?
    2. No she does not, write on the form something like "No yet issued". But because she hasn't got a NINO, submission of the Tax Credits application will provoke the procedure to get her a NINO, and it is great to get that out of the way.
    3. As you say, the answer is "yes".
    4. Actually a good question! I think that technically her income, for the year to 05.04.08, need to be entered, but hardly likely to make much, if any, difference to the amount of TC payable.
    John

Premium Member

Thanks John

Member สมาชิก

Thanks one and all for your informative replys,thats that cleared up then,thanks once again