Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Child Benefit

Member สมาชิก
    Stone Staffordshire. Phaisan, Prakhonchai

Hi,

Letter came in post from the HM Revenue a& Customs accepting our claim for Child Benefit.

Application was sent 6/3/2008 and received by them 10/3/2008. Therefore it is being back dated till 10/12/2007 at an amount of £18.10 a week (I think this is is for 1st child, I think it is lower for 2nd/ 3rd etc), and carrying on weekly.

If you are looking to claim this don't delay as they will only back dated the claim from date of receipt of application for a maximum of 3 months.

You have the right to claim this allowance, even if your children are step children which I was not aware off, and lost out for 4 months as Dae came here in August 2007.

Good Luck

Roland, Yao and Dae

Member สมาชิก

Hi,

Letter came in post from the HM Revenue a& Customs accepting our claim for Child Benefit.

Application was sent 6/3/2008 and received by them 10/3/2008. Therefore it is being back dated till 10/12/2007 at an amount of £18.10 a week (I think this is is for 1st child, I think it is lower for 2nd/ 3rd etc), and carrying on weekly.

If you are looking to claim this don't delay as they will only back dated the claim from date of receipt of application for a maximum of 3 months.

You have the right to claim this allowance, even if your children are step children which I was not aware off, and lost out for 4 months as Dae came here in August 2007.

Good Luck

Roland, Yao and Dae

That is the general position,however, they will consider a longer backdate if you can show good cause. For example,if you were incorrectly advised that you could not claim. Your local CAB will be able to provide you with specific advice.

Member สมาชิก

Member สมาชิก

Thanks Rolyshark,

In my case I was just not aware that I/we could claim for Dae as being from Thailand and being my stepson, aswell as I never dealt with this area before as my Ex wife did all this type of thing for my older children Daughter 22 and Twin lads 20 year olds).

Below is also an interesting link and statement for Child Trust Fund that some of the forum readers might be entitled to claim:

http://www.childtrustfund.gov.uk/

Child Trust Fund (CTF) is a savings and investment account for children. Children born on or after 1 September 2002 will receive a £250 voucher to start their account. The account belongs to the child and can't be touched until they turn 18, so that children have some money behind them to start their adult life.

Roland

Veteran ผู้มีประสบการณ์ Tony & Apple's Avatar

Home Responsibilities Protection (HRP) Scheme

as soon as it was posible i transfered the child benefit to my wife's name so she could get HRP.
    แอนโธนี่

Member สมาชิก

Tony and Apple,

Thanks for info. was not aware of this before, I will look at this in more detial tomorrow and look at transfering to Yao, the child benefit is being invested for Dae.

Roland

Roland posted :-

In my case I was just not aware that I/we could claim for Dae as being from Thailand and being my stepson
    Is your wife still on a time-limited visa, with the "No recourse to Public Funds" condition? If so, whilst you Roland can claim the CB, it is imperative that your wife does not claim it. But of course you have claimed, but your use of "I/we" prompted me to make this comment, for the benefit of others.

Roland, whilst you have mentioned CB, you have not mentioned Tax Credits. These need to be claimed jointly by a couple living together, but that is OK, you and your wife jointly claiming, in view of some "small print" in the legislation. So has a Tax Credits claim also been made?
    John

Member สมาชิก

John,

Many thanks for the additional info. Yao is here on a 2 year settlement Visa, so is time limited and has no recourse to public funds, therefore I will keep it in my name till ILR etc.

Unfortuantly in one respect I/we believe are unable to claim Tax credits because of our earnings.

Thanks Again

Roland

Roland, obviously not expecting you to comment upon this, but I merely state that the entitlement to Child Tax Credit only starts to abate when family income exceeds £50000 pa, and there is still some entitlement even if the income is approaching £60000 pa..
    John

Member สมาชิก

John,

Thanks again!!

Might need a little further looking at dependant how our accounts are calculated.

Roland

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ e.t.v's Avatar

i took a look at that link about the http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/childbenefit/hrp.htm now am i reading this right that once your wife has ILR i can tranfer the CB into her name and start her abilty to aqccuire entitlement to eventually a basic pension?

ETV, quite right, now that your wife has ILR, she should become the Child Benefit claimant, rather than you.
    John

that will please her.
    best start filling another form out asap then .

Veteran ผู้มีประสบการณ์ Tony & Apple's Avatar

best start filling another form out asap then .

unless the rules have changed you might as well wait until about febuary 2009 to change names as the tax year has just started
    แอนโธนี่

Not sure that is right. The link already provided above includes :-

However, if you want your partner to benefit from HRP for the current tax year (6 April to 5 April) we need to receive the information in time to transfer your Child Benefit payment by 6 July.
    So ETV, don't delay getting the form in.
    John

Rookie มือใหม่

Evening all,

I work for CBO so i will try and answer any questions you may have. I only know about Child Benefit though so no Tax Credit questions please.

To qualify for HRP which goes towards a state pension, the claimant must be in receipt of Child Benefit as of 5 April for the tax year commencing 06/04/08. If you claim CB on 7 April, you or your partner will have to wait until 2009.

Hope this info is of some help.

Gari
    pom rak thailand

right im back from Spain ,i have gone to fill out this form only to find it has gone,does anyone know which form i am ment to fill in to transfer the c.b from my name to the wifes?

Gari, are you saying that the quote I provided, referring to 6th July, is wrong?

ETV, probably a call to the Child Benefit office is all that is required to start the procedure.
    John

Rookie มือใหม่

Hi John,

I'm really not sure where the July 6 date came from ?? But you do have to be in receipt of CHB for a full tax year to qualify for HRP.

E.T.V, you can "surrender" your entitlement of CHB to your lady over the telephone. Our contact centres will do an ID check with you and take the info over the phone. Your lady has to submit a claim of course.

The cc number is 0845 302 1444

Hope this is of some help.
    pom rak thailand