Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Member สมาชิก

I am considering opening a Thai restaurant. I am not Thai myself although I did spend a few years in Thailand and have a lot of interest in cooking oriental food. I am not married to a Thai either but I do have some contact which would prove usefull when looking for staff. Are there any people on here who have actually done this? I am now trying to visit as many as I can to get a better idea of what to open/offer. I have also considered opening a British style fish and chips shop with a Thai take away. There don't seem to be many of those around. Why should this be the case? There are plenty of Chinsese versions all over the place. I have so many things to ask but I will leave it at that for now. Any views on what I have written so far? Thanks.

Old Hand มือเก่า

My personal views, and I'm a bit of a food snob.

I either want a good fish and chip shop, or a good Thai shop. Not both. A dual Chinese/fish & chip shop usually means cheap, bad quality food in my experience.

I don't know why there aren't many fast food Thai places, I think that Thai food is a lot more refined than many of the Chinese takeaway places. (Indeed most proper Chinese restaurants are a lot more refined that most Chinese takeaways)

Also many ingredients in Thai food are more expensive so takeaways will be more expensive.

I am now trying to visit as many as I can to get a better idea of what to open/offer.
    Suggest you visit restaurant Bird on the Zeedijk in Amsterdam-takeaway and sit down cafe one side of the street,sit down restaurant the other side. The cafe came first and they expanded to a "proper" restaurant due to demand.

It is in a street of good chinese restaurants and provided the contrast to that and did not try to compete with the febos or shwarma shops selling chips/kebabs etc.

You're unlikely to be able to combine both thai and a chip shop unless you have very large premises,which will probably mean your rent prices you out of the takeaway market. A chip shop requires space for storage of wet fish/potatoes etc,plus preparation area,not to mention two/three vats of oil. Your thai ingredients may not like the hot steamy greasy atmosphere...

No clues on your geographical area either. Certain areas of the country are resistant to "foreign" food-especially if they can pop out to their local chinese or Indian! I know that is an oxymoron,but you get the gist

Your thai ingredients may not like the hot steamy greasy atmosphere...
    Unlike Thailand eh Steve?

Thailand is open air matey...

might i suggest you consider business preparation first.
    Do some work on what people want, create a brand, can you create desire or are you satisfying desire. Themed premises ? how will you add value to the product.

I don't know why there aren't many fast food Thai places,

In New Malden (surrey) wife found a tiny little cafe called THAI bites, name might have changed. It is snuggled by the entrance of the station by the bridge.

It authentic thai food cooked fresh, wife loves it. the food is cooked to order in front of you, there no where to sit and she will make what ever you want if she has the ingredients. lunch times queues proves it popular..

There is a similar place on the bridge on the north side of the river in Putney. If I remember correctly it used to be a public convenience.

Member สมาชิก

just recently saw something probably similar in the student area in Belfast, still have to check it out as I am normally not in that area

Goodness, a couple of posts I can comment on!

The place by New Malden station is actually called Ohaio and always has been and its owned by Koreans! I live all of ten minutes away! Its actually a Korean, Japanese and Thai place. But yeah, its cooked to order and okay. My missus likes the sushi, which I guess is supplied by Korea foods on Shannon Corner, who are the main suppliers of such things in this locale.

I sent photos of the area, including this little place, to the wife before she relocated here and she still came!!!

The place on the south bank by Putney Bridge was never a loo, that was the bit in front of what was a garage that got knocked down yonks ago, it did become a small cafe. A few years ago it was all knocked down and a purpose built restaurant called, surprisingly, Putney Bridge, was built. This was a highly throught of foodie place that got good reviews in all the London papers, so inevetibly it shut down. The Thai Square group took it over a while back and is now there flagship place - it has its own website - you can read my rather tasteful review (unlike the food) elsewhere on this site. Alas, a case of style over substance. Actually, I messed up on the review, the fish was good, the other dishes and especially the "Bangkok" somtam (no chillie), not so.
    'Tis me

Actually, I messed up on the review, the fish was good, the other dishes and especially the "Bangkok" somtam (no chillie), not so.
    No problem, I've updated your review to say "The first was pretty good, the latter two were woeful."

Paul พอล
    กำขี้ดีกว่ากำตด

Thank you - that bit bothered me. Should have pm'd you about it!

Still, won't be going there again in a hurry!

Funnily enough, the other day, around lunchtime, we were wandering around Kingston and looked in through the window at our local Thai place and lo and behold, another forum member waved hello and popped out for a chat - they liked it as well!
    'Tis me

Member สมาชิก

Originally posted by caller:

.............you can read my rather tasteful review (unlike the food) elsewhere on this site. Alas, a case of style over substance. Actually, I messed up on the review, the fish was good, the other dishes and especially the "Bangkok" somtam (no chillie), not so.
    Where are the reviews? Thanks.

Thank you for your replies so far.......

Blog Entries

Kratiem, you will find the restaurant reviews by clicking on this link.

Feel free to submit your own reviews too
    Tobias - โทเบียส

caller I was thinking of the little tiny place on the north side opposite the bishops palace, more of a thai sandwich bar really

Oops sorry!

Teach me to be clever with my "local" knowledge!

Do you mean the old loos on the bridge itself, by the bus stop? Hardly convenient to stop, is it? Sorry, couldn't let that one pass (oops again)!

Not sure abut your reference to Bishops Palace? It's in the middle of the park, so not a lot is really opposite it!!

Actually, when you first mentioned about something that used to be a toilet, I thought you were referring to Fulham Footbal Club, but that still is, so that couldn't be it!
    'Tis me

Caller actually i,m told they do nice food, personally i prefer the excellent chippy further up the road ho hum have a good xmas, if your in the area drop in and say hello sometime as i work nearby pm for details if you want

Hi Gardener, I'll be in touch. Fulham is where the family are from and some still are - I'll be there over the new year - and the other side of the river is where I grew up.

Seasons gretings to your and yours!
    'Tis me

sorry caller i meant..............i work down the road..........live out of town

The place by New Malden station is actually called Ohaio and always has been and its owned by Koreans! I live all of ten minutes away! Its actually a Korean, Japanese and Thai place.

Hello caller

glad I gave something to post i was actually in that neck of the woods the next day and realised got my names muddled but was unable to correct. New malden/ burlington road is where I grew up. And when we visit family my wife is out the front door again in a flash and in to the korean supermarket for numerous bits we can't get in Basingstoke.