Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Rookie มือใหม่

OK, first heres my situation. Im back in the UK with my eldest son, we arrived back here on the 19th July. My wife and other son are in Thailand as we are waiting to apply for a settlement visa.

As Ive only just arrived back Ive signed on but should be working within 2 weeks.

Question time

Child benefit, can I claim for both children or just the one whos in the UK?

I want to apply for council housing until we get our own house sorted out, Im currently at my parents with my son. When the wife and other child get here its going to be cramped to say the least.

Has anyone applied for council housing? Pitfalls, things to do etc?

Thanks

Originally posted by melvbot:
    I want to apply for council housing until we get our own house sorted out, Im currently at my parents with my son. When the wife and other child get here its going to be cramped to say the least.
    Hi Melvbot and welcome to the Forum.

I don’t profess to be an expert on this but I have noticed something in your post that I would consider to be rather important.
    One of the things you will need to show for a settlement visa is the ability to house your family. If you are saying that “When the wife and other child get here it’s going to be cramped to say the least” then I do not think that this will go down too well at the Embassy in LOS and there willingness to grant a visa.

I would try and get your accommodation sorted out first before applying.

Having said all that I will be corrected if anything I have said is wrong.
    Independence Day 31st January 2020

Blog Entries

melvbot, you refer to your "sons", are these both your biological sons?
    Tobias - โทเบียส
    Stay home. Stay alert. Save lives.

Rookie มือใหม่

Yes, they are both my biological sons.

Rookie มือใหม่

Originally posted by Gary & Nok:

I don’t profess to be an expert on this but I have noticed something in your post that I would consider to be rather important.
    One of the things you will need to show for a settlement visa is the ability to house your family. If you are saying that “When the wife and other child get here it’s going to be cramped to say the least” then I do not think that this will go down too well at the Embassy in LOS and there willingness to grant a visa.

I would try and get you accommodation sorted out first before applying.

Having said all that I will be corrected if anything I have said is wrong.
    Im fully aware of the visa/housing issue which is what Ive stressed to my parents, i.e we'll be pushing it expecting to get any sort of council housing.

The options seem really limited in regard to housing, renting is expensive and cant get a mortgage very easily, if anyones got any ideas Im welcome to hear them.

My parents seem to think it'll be straight forward but Ive told them that as theyre sponsoring accommodation for the settlement visa its a bit fishy applying for council housing (I dont want to BTW)

Veteran ผู้มีประสบการณ์

Maybe when you get settled it might be worth contacting a shared ownership scheme or a Housing Association?

All the best

Nick

Rookie มือใหม่

Originally posted by prioritypress:
    Maybe when you get settled it might be worth contacting a shared ownership scheme or a Housing Association?

All the best

Nick
    Thats what Ive been looking at but I dont understand the shared ownership, got to dig further into it

Hi Melvbot,

welcome to the forum.

I am pretty sure that you can only claim CB for children who live permanently in the EEC.

It seems that you have been married for some time and I wondered if you considered applying for Indefinite Leave to Enter rather than an SV. I think you need to have been married for 4 years to get that, but others may correct me.

You could take a private rented house, you would have to pay a deposit of 1 month and 1 months bond, but after that can claim housing benefit who would cover most if not all of the costs.

Originally posted by prioritypress:

All the best

Nick
    Thats what Ive been looking at but I dont understand the shared ownership, got to dig further into it
    It means you buy a % of the property and pay rent for the rest. You can then increase the amount you buy until wholly owned. Can be restricted in certain areas to locals, or those with a certain occupation and you will need to be able to qualify for a mortgage - not easy in the current climate.
    'Tis me

Originally posted by peterinkendal:
    You could take a private rented house, you would have to pay a deposit of 1 month and 1 months bond, but after that can claim housing benefit who would cover most if not all of the costs.
    Sometimes more than one months deposit is required. Of course, to claim Housing Benefit, you have to be entitled to do so. This usually means you are unemployed or on a low income, so can't meet the full rent.
    'Tis me

Thanks
    Sorry to report, but there is a massive shortage of social housing in the UK. But each local authority has a legal responsibility to house people that meet certain criteria, but this could mean being placed in a B&B to start with and then placed in other temporary accommodation that you might find less than ideal.

I don't mean to put a downer on your plans, but reality has to be faced - good luck.
    'Tis me

Old Hand มือเก่า

How big is your parents' house; i.e. how many bedrooms and other rooms except bathrooms/toilets and kitchen?

Child benefit, can I claim for both children or just the one whos in the UK?
    You can only claim for the one in the UK, and for the other one, from when he arrives.

Also, whilst you mention Child Benefit, don't overlook Tax Credits. But again, only the child in the UK is relevant at this stage, but when your wife and other child arrive, the Tax Credits claim will need to be totally revamped ..... put into joint names of you and your wife ... second child reported.

What are you doing to find work?
    John