Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Under 2's free?

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ

Default Under 2's free?

Just booked the Mrs and child (currently 2 months old) for a flight back to LOS in March. I'd got in my head that under two years of age you can fly free if child is on the lap. Not EVA (via Expedia), I was charged 10% of the full adult fare (about £46) and the full tax (about £120) for the baby. Is this normal or have I piece of spyware on machine that tells the airlines that I like paying 'full fat'? I booked the flight as a bit of a rush job as I wanted my sister in law, already flying EVA, and wife on the same flight.

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ e.t.v's Avatar

Alas we had to pay for our nine month old daughter as well.

yep that's about right for a child under 2 years of age 10% of the adult fare which i think is a good deal.... a bulk head seat bassinet cot for the child. on the brighter side children aged 2-11 years can pay up to 75% of the adult fare but they do get the baggage allowance

Quote Originally Posted by michael001 View Post
    yep that's about right for a child under 2 years of age 10% of the adult fare which i think is a good deal.... a bulk head seat bassinet cot for the child. on the brighter side children aged 2-11 years can pay up to 75% of the adult fare but they do get the baggage allowance
    Feel better. Is the bulk head seat/bassinet cot a guaranteed thing i.e. once full thats it for babies? Apologies, I'm new to this game.

No it is not guaranteed

Just arrived in Bangkok with my 6 month old. Travelled Air China to hong kong via beijing. On both those 2 flights got bulk head seats which made life much easier, but had to pay 10% for baby, though he did get a 10k baggage allowance.

Arrived in bangkok yesterday via airasia. They also charged 10% but no baggage allowance and no bulkhead seat. The bulkhead seats were sold off on line for 57 hkd, but we did have seats at the front just behind the bulkhead seats.

A bassinet is really only for babies under 6 months old, Dominic was a little too big for one.

btw, travelling via beijing and hong kong was my choice. I am in los now for 6 months and am determined to see a bit more of the far east. Later will be travelling to laos and vietnam, with cambodia, burma, malasia and singapore on my list, though don't think I will get to do those this trip.

correct bassinets r usually done on first come basis at check-in as those seats r ltd, also some a/lines (qantas) state a weight limit of approx 15 kg 4 baby but we had jack in a bassinet at 18 kgs with eva no problems

We booked our bassinet for my then 8 month old in Feb 2008 with emirates.I wouldn't just turn up at check in and ask for one then it's too risky.I think i payed around 80 pounds for the privilege.

We are about to leave on Emirates again and he's costing me over 400 pounds this time with his own seat and the same baggage allowance as us.

Quote Originally Posted by peterinkendal View Post

A bassinet is really only for babies under 6 months old, Dominic was a little too big for one.
    hmm, well at least that is what the cabin crew told me

Quote Originally Posted by TopCat View Post
    Not EVA (via Expedia), I was charged 10% of the full adult fare (about £46) and the full tax (about £120) for the baby. Is this normal or have I piece of spyware on machine that tells the airlines that I like paying 'full fat'?
    10% of full fare has always been the deal, I think, though I don't understand why you would be charged £120 tax.
    Gordie T Geordie

Banned

J....I was charged 10% of the full adult fare (about £46) and the full tax (about £120) for the baby. Is this normal .......
    Yep, always paid this on TG and EVA. The only exception was Nok Air have a policy of under 2 is free for domestic routes.

On the assumption you are travelling direct then there are 3 taxes GB,UB,TS departing from LHR infants pay (I think, will have to check to be sure) the UB tax, the others are exempt I am sure.
    Last edited by Natty; 30th Nov 2009 at 11:53. Reason: correction

Thanks for the replies. Natty, what do the letters stand for?

Thanks for the replies. Natty, what do the letters stand for?
    I dont think they convert to anything as far as I know, each code relates to who is collecting the tax and in most cases what it is used for.

GB tax is for air passenger duty, tax for UK international and domestic departures, all goes to the goverment.
    UB international (or domestic) departure charge, charge by the airport for their costs in the UK.
    TS passenger service charge, I believe this goes to the Thai airports only.