Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Member สมาชิก

Default Name change after marriage

My Thai girlfriend and I will be getting married on 2 Jan 2010.

We're familiar with what needs to be done but need some advice about the efficient order of things for name changing.

We've got the Certificate of Approval, given notice to marry and now looking forward to the big day.

Her student visa runs out on 13 Jan 2010 (ie. just 11 days after the wedding).
    We've completed a draft FLR(M) ready for a premium application.
    (We know to check that its the latest form before we apply.)

She's registered for the online booking service and it's the same story as others on this forum. No appointments available anywhere in the country for the first two weeks of Jan. (In fact, I checked all the weeks shown from now until the end of Jan and there were no available appointments anywhere in the country AT ALL.)

I've seen the advice that waiting (and waiting) on the telephone service until finally speaking to someone MAY allow us to book an appointment even though the online service shows none available. (I've yet to try this.)

So why am I posting this? Well, my question is about name changing as a result of marriage.

My girlfriend would like to change her surname to be the same as mine. The marriage certificate provides this option without any need for Deed Poll. This is normal.

However, the FLR(M) form says that the surname must be the same as the passport (ie. maiden name). And so the ICFN (ID card for foreign nationals) will be issued with her maiden name.

We'd like to travel to Thailand as soon as possible after the wedding to visit family - hence the premium service application. We know that any airline booking should be in the passport name too.

So, in order to change her surname on all documents I think we have two main options.

a) As above, then while in Thailand, change the passport to show the new married surname. However, a return airline booking would still have the maiden name so [Q1] would we have to book two one-way tickets at extra expense? Also, the ICFN would also be in the maiden name, so [Q2] would re-entry be OK with the new passport and matching one-way airline ticket and the marriage certificate? Of course, the biometrics wouldn't change.

b) An alternative is to change the Thai passport while in the UK. She would have to get a power of attorney to allow someone in Thailand to change her house document first then apply for a new passport in the UK which could take 4-6 weeks itself. At the end of that we are still left with a passport and marriage certificate in married surname, and a ICFN in maiden name. We could then apply for a replacement ICFN for about £25... but this has to be another postal application delaying any trip still further.

OK... thats enough rambling. If we can't get a premium appointment and have to use the postal application for the FLR(M) then the whole thing gets delayed even longer. Maybe there are other options or order of events that someone knows about.

Has anyone returned to the UK with a ICFN in maiden name and passport in married name (with marriage certificate to show reasons)?

Thanks in advance. I can see there is lots of good advice on these forums and appreciate that there is somewhere like this where I can I ask these questions.
    Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by krumike View Post

Well, my question is about name changing as a result of marriage.

My girlfriend would like to change her surname to be the same as mine. The marriage certificate provides this option without any need for Deed Poll. This is normal.

However, the FLR(M) form says that the surname must be the same as the passport (ie. maiden name). And so the ICFN (ID card for foreign nationals) will be issued with her maiden name.

We'd like to travel to Thailand as soon as possible after the wedding to visit family - hence the premium service application. We know that any airline booking should be in the passport name too.

So, in order to change her surname on all documents I think we have two main options.

a) As above, then while in Thailand, change the passport to show the new married surname. However, a return airline booking would still have the maiden name so [Q1] would we have to book two one-way tickets at extra expense? Also, the ICFN would also be in the maiden name, so [Q2] would re-entry be OK with the new passport and matching one-way airline ticket and the marriage certificate? Of course, the biometrics wouldn't change.

Cheers.
    Krumike.

As far as I am aware, when your wife applies for a new passport in her married name, when you come to Thailand, she will be given her old passport back, which will contain her FLR stamp. With the return airline ticket there won't be a problem if she shows them her old and her new passports, and wedding certificate. The same will apply on reentry to UK, at immigration/passport control. She will need her old passport with FLR stamp in it, and her new one, and marriage certificate.

She will also need to change her name on her Thai ID card whilst in Thailand.
    I think you would have to do this at her local amphur.

If any of this is mis-information, some of our better qualified members will correct me soon.

Dave.

Member สมาชิก

Hi. I maybe missing something here but you said your g/f currently has a student visa.
    I am presuming then that she is in the UK at this time and you plan to marry here.
    As far as I am aware, you would need a fiance visa in order to marry here and then obtain FLR, ILR etc..
    If you get married on a student visa, you will be breaking the terms of that visa and will make problems for future re-entry to the UK.

Sorry if ive got the wrong end of the stick. Maybe you could clarify further ?

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ sumrit's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Graham & Chayanisa View Post
    Hi. I maybe missing something here but you said your g/f currently has a student visa.
    I am presuming then that she is in the UK at this time and you plan to marry here.
    As far as I am aware, you would need a fiance visa in order to marry here and then obtain FLR, ILR etc..
    If you get married on a student visa, you will be breaking the terms of that visa and will make problems for future re-entry to the UK.

Are you sure about this?

I remember a slightly different situation and it was about five years ago. It involved two Thai friends of mine who married each other. One was here on a work permit while the other was at university on a student visa. They checked everything with immigration first before they got married here in the UK but basically after they married the one with the student visa was able to change his visa status to that of a spouse of somebody who was here with a work permit for the length of that work permit then once his wife was able to apply for ILR (three years I think) he also qualified for ILR. It was somebody at immigration who told them how to do everything and there was never any suggestion of him breaking the terms of his original student visa by doing this.

I was under the impression that, under normal circumstances, the visa just had to be one that was originally issued for more than six months to get permission to marry in the UK, but I'm probably wrong about that.

After marriage, see also switching.

Note that if applying in person, attendance records may also be requested.
    We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors; we borrow it from our children.

Blog Entries

There is no problem marrying on a student visa and switching to a settlement visa.
    Tobias - โทเบียส

Member สมาชิก

Default Certificate of Approval

Quote Originally Posted by Graham & Chayanisa View Post

Hi Graham & Chayanisa.
    Thanks for your reply (despite the missed heartbeat and frantic checking of the rules!! )
    There is no problem marrying while on a student visa. We have already followed the procedure necessary and obtained a Certificate of Approval for marriage. http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/vi...ateofapproval/

Member สมาชิก

Default Student visa

Just for information... (as all info is useful).

My girlfriend came over to the UK on a 14.5 month student visa in Nov 2008. The English course comprised 6 weeks English learning at a school in London followed by work experience for 10 months and then 1 week back at the school. Then, after the course finished, she still had 2 months left on her student visa... and the same work rules apply (ie. she is allowed to work). Leads to a Standard Level CIE Certificate in Work Experience (aka Cambridge Certificate in Work Experience).

Things are different now though. The following text is from an email and the UKBA website....

However, the student category of the Immigration Rules has been replaced by Points Based System Tier 4, with effect from 31st March 2009.
    As an adult student, you will be allowed to do a work placement as part of your course of study, as long as the work placement is an assessed part of the course. In most cases, the work placement must be no more than 50% of the length of the course in the United Kingdom. An example is if a course is two years long and the first year of the course involves full-time study, with the last year in a work placement.

Member สมาชิก

Here is a link to a related thread which helps with my original query above.
    http://www.thailand-uk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=250