Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Member สมาชิก

Default ILR\ citizenship

My wife and i were married in the uk in 2008 and she has lived here with me since then. We live in Glasgow and although as has been correctly stated in the past the ESOL with citizenship courses are free we have found them totally oversubscibed and have remained on a waiting list for over a year. Meanwhile my wife has been self teaching the citizenship book but i am unsure if she will pass the test which she will need to take this year. Her present visa is valid until AUG10 so i thought i would book her a test for March to see how she got on and leave enough time for a resit or 2. Also there is a school in London which does intensive citizenship courses(5 days or more if required) Has anyone had any experience of this and are they any good?

What i was really wondering was if she does not pass and needs to extend her FLR visa where does this leave you, ie how long is the extension? How long does it take to apply for it (is it 6-12 weeks like the original 1)

I just feel a lack of structured education has hindered her in this with no lack of effort from us, she went to a private school which cost a lot but has no citizenship content and also free classes at the local library which were totally unstructured and without proper ESOL teachers. All this aside i need to know where we stand if she fails so we can plan for this if necessary.
    Any information on this subject will be very useful and as ever thank you in advance.
    Dave

Member สมาชิก

Hi Dave,

If she does not pass the test, then you have to fill out form FLR(M), for extension of stay. There is a section on that form where you can leave details (need more time to learn English). If the application is approved, then the Leave to Remain will be for a further 2 years. You can send in the application about 1 month before her current visa expires. I am on my second application for the wife as she is not very good with reading/ writing english.

If she does pass the test, then you have to apply for ILR, which is a different form.

Good luck,

Nick

Quote Originally Posted by andren View Post
    ...as she is not very good with reading/ writing english.
    Have either of you considered the Speaking and Listening courses?

Whilst I appreciate the ones mentioned previously on the Forum (Cohesion Legal Services & Sterling Learning) may not be in your area, it might be worth looking to see if there is anyone near you that does this type of course (obviously make sure they are Gov certified).

Nok did this and it took 1 week to do and the resulting certificate has been used for ILR and Citizenship.

Worth thinking about, even if it is a weeks stay in Brum/Manchester (for Cohesion) not sure were Sterling are.

If either of you want more detail on Cohesion I can supply or search for threads on here were I have posted the info previously.
    Independence Day 31st January 2020

Quote Originally Posted by Gary & Nok View Post
    Have either of you considered the Speaking and Listening courses?...... not sure were Sterling are.
    Stirling are sponsors of the forum, contact details:

Salford Youth Centre,
    1 Gladstone Road,
    Eccles,
    Manchester
    M30 0WY
    Telephone/Fax: 0161 283 8496
    Mobile: 07954 433 640
    E-mail: info@sterlinglearning.com

Member สมาชิก

Talking

Thanks for the advice guys always good to hear from people in the same boat so to speak.
    I had it in my head( maybe from a previous post) that you could only get the 2 years once after that it is a slight extension (i thought 6 months) so i am totally relieved to hear that is not the case so thanks for putting me right.

The intensive courses are tempting as they are not that expensive when put in the context of visa costs (the 1 in london was £150 for 5 days) i was just not sure they were completely genuine as 5 dys seemed a bit short to do all thats involved for ILR but if its OK then yeah we'll give it a go as i want to clear the hurdles as soon as possible.

Anyway it seems we still have a bit of time to get it all sorted so thanks again Nick and Big Red.

Dave

Member สมาชิก

Hi davyboy,

I just did my test and passed. It wasn't that difficult. I could help your wife to go through the book if you guys want. We could do it on MSN.

Tai

Member สมาชิก

Dave,

We're just doon the watter in Greenock where the James Watt College now does ESOL courses with citizenship content. Perhaps your wife could hop on a train and come here.