Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by dotty View Post
    Thanks for the input folks.
    I have tried for a Spanish Schengen visa and ended up talking to a call centre in India with a lady whose accent was impenetrable. She gave me very very incorrect information so I gave up.
    not surprised, forget them.
    So the it looks as though the die is cast. Because I am British and live in the UK my wife cannot get the precious 'EEA' stamp.

So how about this for a ploy. We obtain ILR through the normal tortuous channels.
    I then choose to emigrate to our family's property in France. For (mental) health reasons.

My wife & her kids join me.

Could we at that stage obtain the 'EEA' stamp.
    yes, from the french embassy

I think, on balance, we will end up getting German Schengens and day tripping to Hamburg on Ryanair to validate them before going to Spain & France.
    not necessary, doesn't need to be validated no one will say anything and even if they did just say you are staying only for 2 days then holidaying in germany for a week.
    I really must speak to my MEP about the inconvenience.
    good idea!

Thanks again to everyone that has responded. YOu've been a big help.
    Dotty
    no problem at all

Peter

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ

Dotty, just a thought, have you examined your ancestry? Any EEA Grandparents lurking about? My mother is Irish and passed that to me, which in turn has passed to our baby girl. The "precious" EEA stamp is indeed a handy thing and lots of EEA countries pass down citizenship through grandparents.

Think as a matter of interest I may check whether family members in practice can get to schengenland with just ILR spouse passport and marriage certificate. We are in fact travelling as a family on the Hull Rotterdam ferry in October......although my wife now is the proud owner of a British Passport, she still has her ILR and her Thai Passport, maybe we should try use that along with marriage certificate and my British Passport......if they refuse we will of course still have her British Passport to fall back onto. Thoughts anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by peterinkendal View Post
    yes, from the french embassy
    I didn't know there were any in France!

Dave.

No, but would use the one in the UK I guess. He would have to prove residency in France then she would have to apply to French embassy in UK (where ordinarily resident) for an eea permit to join her husband in France. She can still spend time in France with her husband using a Schengen Visa for now, she would still be resident in UK, and just visiting France

Old Hand มือเก่า

I'm not so sure about the above comment.

EEA citizens have a guaranteed 90 days in which to establish themselves in the host country. The husband, as it is in this example, can choose to exercise his "rights" at any time. Should he choose to do so, his spouse needs no sort of visa whatsoever: her "rights" exist in law without the need for any say-so from the authority in question.

If you wish to reside in France then your wife is entitled to join you and assuming you are self sufficient or employed then its relatively simple for her to obtain a 'Titre de sejour' with the EEA endorsement as a spouse of an EU citizen which removes the requirement for a schengen visa.

I say relatively simple because some prefectures were unaware of the relevant law when we applied (this hopefully is now fixed) and because nothing in France is simple where the fonctionaires are concerned.

The process is move
    Register at the Mairee
    Apply for carte de sejour
    Chew nails
    Wait
    Chew fingers
    Provide more unnecessary documents
    Chew more fingers
    Receive Titre de sejour
    Drink wine eat cheese relax

PAY FRENCH tax
    Human beings are seventy percent water, and with some the rest is collagen

Member สมาชิก

Ernesto
    If only.
    I have a great great grandmother who was Irish. We have no documentation sadly. Just word of mouth.

I'm John Bull through and through and Tilak is Thai/Lao.
    Certainly worth following up for any others with a foreign grandparent.

Cheers
    Dotty

So how about this for a ploy. We obtain ILR through the normal tortuous channels.
    I then choose to emigrate to our family's property in France. For (mental) health reasons.

My wife & her kids join me.
    How is that for a ploy? In my opinion, short-sighted! After all it will ruin or at least delay your wife obtaining Naturalisation as British. Once she is British she can exercise Treaty Rights, just like you! Need for visas, at least in Europe, goes away.
    John

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NigelApple View Post
    Well look, there's a definitive test possible here. A daytrip to France on the ferry with nothing but ILR and proof of family relationship. I see P&O have a day trip for 16 euros a person currently.
    You're in for a pleasant day shopping in France from my experience.
    Have a look at this topic for your answer - shafted. Applying for a Schengen Visa = Free - Not applying for a Schengen Visa = £970!

Don't risk it - apply for the Schengen Visa.
    Tobias - โทเบียส
    It’s better to be 6 feet apart than to be 6 feet under.