Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Default Review of access to the NHS by foreign nationals

We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors; we borrow it from our children.

Blog Entries

"It is assumed that any absence exemption beyond 6 months would allow NHS resources
    to be exploited by people who live in England for a short period of time each year purely
    to access free health care".

OK, 6 months is better than 3, but for the likes of myself, who have paid NI contributions for 30 years, staying out of the UK for more than half the year means no "free" NHS treatment. We are seen as exploiting the system. I take that as an insult.

Whereas:-

"We are proposing a specific exception for those FASs who are cooperating with UKBA
    and are supported under sections 4 or 95 of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999.
    Section 4 and Section 95 provides basic welfare support but does not currently include
    free access to secondary healthcare. The extension of free healthcare to these groups
    therefore is wholly consistent with this element of the government’s migration and asylum
    policy".

Cooperative failed asylum seekers are being given additional benefits. No exploiting the system there then.

I accept that I am fully aware of this particular drawback of living in LoS but still choose to do so. However, it would appear that the funding of the additional healthcare available to FAS's is at the expense of those having paid NI contributions but are denied the benefits.

Forum Antiquity ความเก่า dan&ploy's Avatar

Hi Phil,

I deliberately didn't read this document because I expected to read exactly what you found. I am in the same boat as you and chose to do what I did with my eyes wide open, as did you.

I cope with the seeming injustice of this by remembering that you usually get what you pay for in life and the 'free' NHS certainly lived up to that billing with their treatment of my Mum, Dad and my first wife, all of whom unfortunately required their services, (although in the latter case we had some insurance to go private, which we were forced to do).

I also will not claim for any pension I might be due. I am happy my small past contribution is able to fund some MP's partner's apartment somewhere or in some small way can offset the huge deficit or help buy a burger for a single mum's fifth child.

In all these things I think it helps to have just a small bit of hatred of my home country although just occasionally I almost feel some sympathy for its pitiable state; almost but not quite. If I feel myself weakening I just need to fly into Heathrow and catch the coach down to Woking station and the train down to Portsmouth. By that point I am usually ready to swim the Channel to get out of there.

There's no regrets, no tears goodbye, I don't want you back.....

Blog Entries

Chaps, this is only a consultation document, it is not the law. Why not respond to it and make your views known?
    Tobias - โทเบียส

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    Chaps, this is only a consultation document, it is not the law. Why not respond to it and make your views known?
    For what good it will do, I shall Tobias. My initial visceral rant has been tempered by some of what Dan said. I personally cannot claim that I have been denied my "moneys worth" from the NHS, and believe me I'm grateful. As in most cases, it's the principle.

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ

Question

Do you have a legal obligation to inform that you are out of the country for that length of time?

Melnathan

I would think checking of the time out of the UK will be easily available should the system come in.

This is another post that i need to re-visit when I get home as I am sure I would have some comment or two to make but reading the whole thing in this heat is a little to taxing
    I'm ONE of the 52%

Quote Originally Posted by Gary & Nok View Post
    but reading the whole thing in this heat is a little to taxing
    What! No aircon in the internet cafe. Are you sure its not a hangover from last night, Gary?

Dave

Hangover, what are you saying Dave I was in bed by 1am last night (did start at 5 though)

Sat by the door and the aircon is rubbish in this place.
    I'm ONE of the 52%