Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  15
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Singapore Airlines Ex Manchester

Singapore Airlines fly from Manchester non stop to Singapore!

I had no idea, maybe other people didn't know either? As far as I can make out, they started flying to Singapore non stop from Manchester last year - unless others know different. I don't know how I've missed it when I've searched flights before.

I stick with Etihad purely because of my Gold Guest Status. I've not been particularly happy with them for a number of reasons and last year when I read about passengers being arrested on crazy drugs charges at UAE airports I was seriously concerned. As I will be flying to Thailand less and less in the coming months and years, I will at some point, lose my Gold staus with Etihad.

Searching flight prices for my trip to Thailand in September I was surprised to see flights are available with Singapore Airlines from Manchester and, when I can get agent's website to work correctly, at amazing prices - £396 in September with 2 to 2.5 hour stopovers.

I've flown on Singapore Airlines to Bangkok several times in the past from Heathrow and found their service second to none. However, over the last 7 or 8 years they have been way out on price. If prices like the above are actually available its a no-brainer to me once I lose my Gold status with Etihad its Singapore all day long.

I'll do some more checking on this when I get chance and also to see if they still offer a little perk they offered before - they used to allow an overnight stopover in Singapore at no extra cost. I have 2 friends in Singapore and I used to find the stopover a nice touch.

Many moons ago they used to fly Singapore - Istanbul - Manchester , I dont think that was daily .
    They are constantly winning awards for their service, I have only flown regionally with them IE Manila - SIN, SIN - Hong Kong and cannot fault there service. You should be able to stop-over longer than 1 nt (subject to ticket rules). Not sure if people know if you do have longer connection flights you can take a free Singapore city tour either daytime or nighttime (not both) that is airport, back to airport this operates at various times each day, need to show onward boarding pass (with any airline and time constraints)
    I think the price in Sept is excellent for them. I may look into this for the eldest lad.
    bangkok mags

Blog Entries

Yes Flip, it’s been operating for a while, Manchester is actually a midway stop for their Houston Texas - Singapore service. Singapore is a great place to visit and to transit. They also use their new A359 aircraft
    Tobias - โทเบียส

Quote Originally Posted by sisaket View Post
    They are constantly winning awards for their service, I have only flown regionally with them IE Manila - SIN, SIN - Hong Kong and cannot fault there service. You should be able to stop-over longer than 1 nt (subject to ticket rules).
    They have just won 1st place on Trip Advisor - Etihad aren't even in the top ten which is probably an indicator of how they are failing these days. And yes, I seem to remember having a 2 day stopover.

I will try to confirm that price as soon as possible but as a heads up, it was on Travel Supermarket. I can't remember the name of the agent but it was one I'd never heard of. Ones that I had heard of were coming in at £420 which is still good. It was for a 1 month stay. I tried to compare the price direct with the airline but their website was down for maintenance.

Very long routing though to Manchester. Effectively you're flying nowhere nearer to home for 2 and half hours from Bangkok to Singapore and then long old schlepp to Manchester 13 hours 45 minutes
    Nope thats way way too long an "airtime" plus transit obviously

As long as Etihad Oman Emirates Qatar etc fly from Manchester far better option.

That UAE drug issue in transit goes back to when the internet was still in its infancy in the mid 90's Westeast travel used to give out warnings over poppy seeds tramadol codeine etc etc to ensure you kept those type of tabs in checked bags only and pray you didnt get offloaded for some reason within transit, flights cancelled etc etc

- - - - - - - u p d a t e d - - - - - - -

Quick look on travel trolley has Oman at £398 for September Manchester Bangkok
    Singapore is varying not really competative though with the UAE carriers although few random dates I entered might just have been higher rated days etc
    Oman will get you silver status for 2 return trips a year access lounges, check in biz class counters, usual benefits etc etc plus brand new terminal opened in muscat described as stunning by travel writers

When I make the change, I won't be looking at any of the middle eastern airlines - people were still being arrested on ridiculous drugs charges last year + the terminals are doing nothing but get bigger and the walks are getting longer. I sleep most of the flight these days so I should be able to cope with the additional time.

If I was looking for the fastest flights I'd be checking out KLM. I don't know what they're running these days but when they were using 747's, depending on the time of year (headwinds) they could do the Schiphol to Bangkok leg in 10.5 hours one way and 11 hours the other. I could aslo fly from Leeds Bradford.

No, if Singapore stick with such competative prices, I'll be giving them a go again - their service used to be second to none. When Etihad first started they reminded me of Singapore a lot - very much customer focused. They have slowly gone down hill and their customer service when you have a problem can be appalling.

Quote Originally Posted by Flip View Post
    When I make the change, I won't be looking at any of the middle eastern airlines - people were still being arrested on ridiculous drugs charges last year + the terminals are doing nothing but get bigger and the walks are getting longer. I sleep most of the flight these days so I should be able to cope with the additional time.

If I was looking for the fastest flights I'd be checking out KLM. I don't know what they're running these days but when they were using 747's, depending on the time of year (headwinds) they could do the Schiphol to Bangkok leg in 10.5 hours one way and 11 hours the other. I could aslo fly from Leeds Bradford.

No, if Singapore stick with such competative prices, I'll be giving them a go again - their service used to be second to none. When Etihad first started they reminded me of Singapore a lot - very much customer focused. They have slowly gone down hill and their customer service when you have a problem can be appalling.
    Fair enough if you want 16 and quarter hours airtime your choice entirely
    As regards the middle east they have been hot on tramadol codeine etc since at least the early 90's. Earliest memory being told in 1993 but may have known earlier.

Not the slightest problem but dont put the banned list of meds in hand luggage. I travel with Tramadol but take just one on the aircraft and the rest are in checked bags.
    Its good you highlighted it because I bet many are not aware in general but its not anything new. There is a banned list somewhere will try and dig it out later

- - - - - - - u p d a t e d - - - - - - -

There you go.....its pretty extensive and I'd be surprised if anyone here has not broken it unintentionally at some point travelling through the Emirates

https://www.fairtrials.org/list-of-c...tances-in-uae/

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ

Singapore Airlines have only been flying direct Manchester to Singapore since 1986 !

Maybe they have but I wasn't aware of it and possibly others aren't either. No harm done by posting is there?

Quote Originally Posted by Brownhill View Post
    Singapore Airlines have only been flying direct Manchester to Singapore since 1986 !
    only started late 2016, before stopped at Munich i believe

Cathay Pacific now do daily flights hkg to man on the A350 leaves hkg at 0100 hours

SIA: were coming in at £549 MAN - BKK for the dates I put in,Etihad was £386. Qatar From Edinburgh was £387. Carlisle (CAX) £614 but need change From Southend to LHR (Logan/BA) Cheaper to go to OZ £505 to MEL (LHR). Not heard anymore about him coming over, so keeping an eye on the fares.
    bangkok mags

Old Hand มือเก่า

the arabs and fin air also swiss have the route sown up ive flown many and never has singopore come near price or time ,you must be mad to fly any other route from manchester ,

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Samsung View Post
    the arabs and fin air also swiss have the route sown up ive flown many and never has singopore come near price or time ,you must be mad to fly any other route from manchester ,
    ... and BA, KLM, Lufthansa, Austrian ... and if rumour turns out to be true Thai!
    Tobias - โทเบียส

Yes well, I'm now over 80 flights - time for a change. I'm not stuck on Singapore but at the prices I've seen and with the advantage of a stopover in Singapore to catch up with old friends - well I must be mad then. Its not all about time you know Samsung - whichever way you look at it you're in the air a long time, the whole exeperience is what counts. It will be a while before I lose my Gold status with Etihad and at the moment lounge access counts more for me. I spent years without lounge access through swapping airlines chasing the cheapest flights but now I've got it I really appreciate it and will hang on to it as long as I can.

As I say, the total travel time is considerable whoever you fly with and other factors come into play for me. When I first started using Etihad the terminal at Abu Dhabi was quite small - the old flying saucer as it was known. You were never more then a couple of minutes for the gate. Now its a lot bigger and its very rare that you leave from the same terminal that you landed at - so quite a good degree of walking and judging by the amount of building that's going on there, its going to get a lot bigger. Etihad my have their Dreamliner but more often than not the fleet on the MAN-BKK route are getting dated and in need of a refit. Dubai on Emirates? Again, a train between terminals. I also don't fancy being locked up for having a poppy seed stuck to my shirt or a joint stub stuck on my shoe. I've seen the Finn Air ads and prices and they look interesting too.

There are new players entering the game all the time and by the time I'm ready, who knows what could be on offer? But I've always had good experiences on Singapore and I would also save on the fare from Bangkok and back to visit my friends.

Yes well, I'm now over 80 flights - time for a change. I'm not stuck on Singapore but at the prices I've seen and with the advantage of a stopover in Singapore to catch up with old friends - well I must be mad then. Its not all about time you know Samsung - whichever way you look at it you're in the air a long time, the whole exeperience is what counts.
    Long stint though without a fag break Phil or have you quit?

The one you're dipping out on is Oman Flip.....really missing out especially since they started out of Manchester 10 months ago. Brand new terminal virtually zero distance between gates. Like you lounge access is number 1 priority and you only need two return flights in rolling year to get silver which gets you it along with obviously biz class check in, additional weight over and above the standard 30kg its 15kg not that I ever had a checked bag over around 16kg ever anyway
    Get gold and apart from all the additional benefits you get two free business class sectors choose whatever you want. I always use them on London Muscat and VV.
    Anyone dismissing them automatically is dipping out. Not forgetting you can spend the Sindbad airmiles in transit ciggies perfume. Just order online and they have desiginated pick up spot at Muscat.

Blog Entries

Yes well, I'm now over 80 flights - time for a change. I'm not stuck on Singapore but at the prices I've seen and with the advantage of a stopover in Singapore to catch up with old friends - well I must be mad then. Its not all about time you know Samsung - whichever way you look at it you're in the air a long time, the whole exeperience is what counts...
    I agree, I have quite a bit of business in Singapore so almost every time I go I take the short hop to BKK for a couple of days. Sometimes I only spend the one night in Singapore before heading to Bangkok - especially so if Jenny is with me.

I think it an excellent opportunity for you if the price and schedule fits.
    Tobias - โทเบียส

Quote Originally Posted by wunderbar View Post
    The one you're dipping out on is Oman Flip
    No, I'll be keeping an open mind on all carriers, I haven't discounted Oman. The additional weight could be useful to me. At the moment I regularly take items out for my house - last time 24 x stainless steel double electrical sockets complete with back boxes and 2 thermostatic shower kits . Next trip will be a gas hob . And along with lounge access etc. I will also lose additional weight allowance with Etihad. Although when I'm finished with the house its often hand luggage only.

But as I say, with Singapore I can take advantage of the stopover to visit my friends in Singapore.

Old Hand มือเก่า

yes flip if it suits you as you mention the stopover to visit freinds then you are correct ,fantastic airline ,and as you say the airports now are big ,ive sat in the piano bar at the old abu dabi airport a few times loved the old airport ,i did like swiss air from manchester to bangkok ,ive always found the asian/middle eastern are far better for service and the further you go west the worst the service gets ,i suppose that is the same in a lot of businesses

14-16 Sept is the Marina Bay F1 2018 in SIN: discount tickets available until 8 May, but as yet no idea who the live bands are Fri- Sat - Sun.
    8th May sees Stereophonics play in SIN: 4th May sees Squeeze (having to miss out) .
    bangkok mags