Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ RichardSt's Avatar

Default UK Driving Licence in Thailand

Is it advisable to have an International Driving Permit (http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring...ng/DG_10023103) whilst driving in Thailand or is the standard photocard licence suitable for use.

I'm looking to rent a truck from BKK airport and return there 2 weeks later.

Thanks

http://www.thaiconsul-uk.com/download.aspx?id=4

An International Driving Licence is required for most foreign persons wishing to drive in Thailand and must be accompanied by the Driving Licence issued to them in their country of nationality or residence. A foreigner is allowed to drive in Thailand for up to 6 months on an International Driving Licence after which they must obtain a Thai Driving Licence. The holder of a UK driving licence can apply for an International Driving Licence IDP1949 through the “AA” and you can download an application form from their website www.theaa.com/getaway/idp/motidp002.html.
    Paul พอล
    กำขี้ดีกว่ากำตด

Veteran ผู้มีประสบการณ์ toddmeister's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Hi,

I always take an IDP. I have never been asked to produce it when renting a pick-up or bike but you will have issues with insurance etc if you do not have one and are involved in an accident. They are easy to get from the Post Office or AA and are cheap so personally I can't see a reason not to take one

Is it advisable to have an International Driving Permit whilst driving in Thailand
    As far as I am aware, not only is it advisable, it is a legal requirement to have the IDP in addition to your photo card and the paper part of your UK licence for driving in Thailand. Keep all of the documents with you when driving in LOS. Make sure you get the right IDP as there are different types depending on the country you are visiting. The AA site as posted above have full details which are very clear. Also make sure that your UK licence covers you for the class of vehicle that you wish to hire ie; if you decide to hire a scooter / motorbike then it's a good idea to have a licence covering that class. The car rental firms at BKK airport may be quite strict on these issues (I wouldn't know as I have never used them) but in reality (as shown by a recent TV programme) when you hire from smaller firms in places such as Pattaya the technicalities take second place to handing over money. I was actually, quite specifically told by one such firm in Pattaya, that I didn't need a IDP and my UK licence was fine. It was a perverse sort of irony that when I was later stopped by the police and unable to show my UK licence, it was one of the few times I've been stopped without any money being requested or given!

Allan
    Last edited by maokaang; 15th Aug 2010 at 05:25. Reason: UBB code fixed

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ RichardSt's Avatar

Thanks for the replies