Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ RichardSt's Avatar

Default Car Hire & Insurance from BKK

Just following on from my previous thread asking about driving licence requirements in Thailand I've been looking around on various car hire websites to see where the best deals are to be had. I've also had a quick search through the older posts to try to fish out some recommendations - fastcarhire, avis, budget etc

My question relates to the excess payable at the car hire counter. Now I regularly rent cars across Europe for work purposes and we always opt to pay the comprehensive cover to reduce our liability to zero in the event of: tyre damage, theft of car, windscreen damage or damage to bodywork etc. We chose to do this (at work) about 2 years ago because we were continuously getting charged for damage (that didn't happen whilst we were renting) or for fuel (them claiming we didn't leave the car full) etc

What are peoples experiences of renting in Thailand? Am I to expect the same there (dodgy claims after my departure) or are there any suggestions to avoid this type of thing?

Excess payments range from 3,000THB to 10,000THB (and above for premium rentals) and the super premium excess that you can pay to reduce liability to ZERO works out quite similar over the 2 week rental that I'm looking at.

So, providing the 2 weeks premium cover doesn't cost above the standard excess, I'm better just to not bother??

This link also confused me on Budgets website http://www.budget.co.th/tips_insurance.aspx Are they saying that the 8-10,000THB excess would cover those costs in the table??

The worry free option costs 380-420THB per day, so over 5,000THB for the 2 weeks.

I consider myself a very capable driver with international driving experience ranging over 10 years but unfortunately you can never account for other road users as has been tragically demonstrated in another post.

Any advice welcome

---------- Post added at 15:04 ---------- Previous post was at 14:34 ----------

Sorry I forgot one of the main questions behind the post - there are no hidden extras that you would need to pay over and above the excess of 3-10,000THB in the event of a claim are there?

Endoo

What are peoples experiences of renting in Thailand??

I have never had any problem with a hirer in Thailand. I have used a few local ones, not only that i personally know, that would not say much then.

I also rented from Budget without any problems what so ever. How did they charge you for damages you didn't make? Always write ALL damages in the contract or if you want to be more than sure take pictures of the damages, let the hirer sign them and take a picture of the hirer with the car. I never done that, I stick with writing all damages up, big and small which the hirer usually write themselves.

As I understand you can never have to pay more than 10000 bath no matter what happens.
    A valid drivers license which meas either Thai license or UK with international 1 year license. Without these you are driving illegally even if they aren't needed in most cases.

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ RichardSt's Avatar

Thanks Endoo,

Your reply reassures me that I will probably be safe without adding the extra insurance. I'll just make sure that all damage is noted and agreed in advance.

Our experiences of being charged for damage (or fuel) once the rental is returned is that a charge is simply put through on the credit card and this is only picked up when we do our monthly accounting. On every occasion we have challenged these costs but it is a nightmare trying to prove innocence once you are no longer in the country.

I am sure many people simply don't challenge a small charge being put on the final bill and if only 5% of these charges are not challenged then it's all extra income for the hire firm. I admit that I'm fairly cynical about many of these companies.

Thanks for your feedback

2 years ago I hired a car from fkcarrent. The charges were very reasonable, but unfortunately I did have a bump while in Koh Phangnan. This caused severe damage to the back bumper and the boot lid.

When I returned the car I apologised and no money was asked for. I didn't even have an IDP, just showed them by UK driving photocard and that was it. They met me at the airport where they delivered the car to me and collected the car from our hotel in Bangkok as I did not fancy driving through Bangkok again to get to the airport so we got a taxi.

Contact details are as follows:

fkcarrent@hotmail.com
    tel: 813137171

highly recommended. I used them as they had been previously recommended to me by someone else on these forums

I believe that was me Peter and if they are still around, I would still recommend them. I had some difficulty contacting them last time I needed to hire a car and so used Highway car rental in Lumpini (bottom of Silom Road. I would also recommend that company. Both these companies are considerably cheaper then Budget, Avis and the like and offer a better selection of vehicles.

I can't help the OP with details of insurance claims. policy excess etc. as I've never had a bump in Thailand but would also agree with Endoo - walk around the car and record any existing damage before you drive away.

Quote Originally Posted by Flip View Post
    I believe that was me Peter and if they are still around, I would still recommend them. I had some difficulty contacting them last time I needed to hire a car and so used Highway car rental in Lumpini (bottom of Silom Road. I would also recommend that company. Both these companies are considerably cheaper then Budget, Avis and the like and offer a better selection of vehicles.

I can't help the OP with details of insurance claims. policy excess etc. as I've never had a bump in Thailand but would also agree with Endoo - walk around the car and record any existing damage before you drive away.
    highway have a branch near thai- belgian bridge also on sukhumvit road.......
    bangkok mags

Sisaket is correct - sorry the branch I was refering to is at the bottom of Sathorn Road not Silom Road and yes, its close to the Thai - Belgian Bridge. Sathorn Car Rent is on the Sathorn Road side of the building and Highway Car Rental face onto Rama 4. I've never been able to work out if they are actually one and the same company.