Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Rookie มือใหม่

Default Thai visit extentsion options

Hello all

I am a UK citizen currently in Thailand visiting my girl friend/partner and son. In the future I feel I will have some questions about UK visas, however for the minute due to a bit of unexpected circumstances, I would be grateful for a sanity check on getting an extension on my current visit.

The current situation is:

My passport expires on the 19th April 2011

I flew in from UK on the 11th August 2010 and have a visa exemption for a 30 day stay until 9th September 2010

I would like to stay in Thailand for another at least another 4 weeks before heading back to the UK.

I think my options are:

1) Go to the immigration office in Bangkok and ask for an extension, but I think they will only give me a week and this may cost 2000Baht.

2) the do a 'visa run' a day trip to another country which I can do either by bus or possibly by air.

My understanding is that if I do the 'visa run' by land (bus) I will only get 15 day extension from the date I cross back into Thailand.

Therefore it seems that a viable option is to fly out of Bangkok to Kuala Lumpur for a day trip on an Airasia promotion for 5000Baht. Say fly out on the morning of the 6th September 2010 and return on the afternoon of the 6th September 2010. Which will allow me to stay until 6th October 2010

My understanding is that my passport has to be valid 6 months from either the date of arrival or exiting Thailand (not sure which) as I am assuming that I have appropriate time left on my passport that expires 19th August 2011

It seems that the day trip to KL airport is the best option any opinions gratefully received especially if there is a flaw in my ideas or someone knows of a better solution.

Many Thanks

TimL

PS afraid not to good at smileys

Where about in Thailand are you now? A trip across the border and an early morning visit to the Royal Thai Embassy Thai Consulate in Vientiane, Laos, then a one night stay there will gain you a 60 day tourist visa (currently free of charge) for Thailand. Vientiane is a short journey across the border from Nong Khai, North East Thailand.
    Last edited by maokaang; 28th Aug 2010 at 18:49. Reason: RTE description corrected
    Paul พอล
    กำขี้ดีกว่ากำตด

Although currently FOC, is there likely to be an "admin" fee? the same as in England which is minimal admittedly (just so Tim is aware).

Sorry, wrong use of words by me, it is the Royal Thai Embassy, not Consulate, in Vientiane. No charge and no admin fee until the end of March 2011.

The Honorary Consulates in the UK are run as independent small businesses which need to make a profit, hence the admin fee they charge.
    Paul พอล
    กำขี้ดีกว่ากำตด

Rookie มือใหม่

Hi Thanks for replies, aplogises for late reply its been hectic, the 2 month free tourist visa option looks promising in the future. I am in Bangkok at the moment.

I was advised by a Thai friend to try the immigration office at Chaeng Watthana, which I did and by being humble I managed to get a visit extension of over 4 weeks, so I immediately put in process the passport renewal process.

So if anyone else is looking for the visit extension, the Chaeng Watthana immigration office is worth a try, it cost 1900 Baht and it worked for me.

Next time it will be a run to the boarder and 2 month tourist visa, thanks all
    TimL

Quote Originally Posted by TimL View Post
    Next time it will be a run to the boarder and 2 month tourist visa, thanks all
    TimL
    TimL. You will not get a 2 month Tourist visa, 'at the border'. You have to go to a Thai Embassy, or Consulate, outside Thailand. Maokaang's post above, suggests Vientienne, depending on where you live.

Dave.

The border run (quick cross and come back) will result in a 15 day visa only.

Quote Originally Posted by TimL View Post
    Chaeng Watthana
    Excuse my ignorance but where is this place?

colin 244

Colin, it's in Bangkok, mate.

Dave.

Thanks Dave,

I had never heard of it being a newbie

colin 244