Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Bobby1981

Default A call from the British Embassy

I have recently submitted a settlement visa for my wife. Today she received a call from the British Embassy Tel: (02) 305 8333; it’s the wireless road office.

The person on the phone said that somebody has sent a letter to the British Embassy saying that my wife doesn’t want to come to the UK. And she wanted to confirm wheather she wanted to go ahead with the visa application or not.

I'm just wondering if anybody else has had something similar or is this some kind of check the Embassy do. If its not then I'm a little concerned.

Air is very worried now so any reassurance or help is much appreciated.

Regards

Bob

How bizarre Bobby - not heard anything like that before - presumably the Embassy wouldn't elaborate on the letter and that your wife confirmed she was fully committed on joining you in the UK?
    ขอแสดงความนับถือคริส

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ

I hope this is not a case of a deceitful way of checking applications

Furniture เฟอร์นิเจอร์ the_link's Avatar

This appears to be malicious. 99% certain that someone is trying to put the kibosh on your wife's application.

She might want to reconfirm with the Embassy that she has no intention of cancelling her application, by way of letter or email.

Fairplay to the Embassy for verbally confirming with your wife.

Bobby1981

Yeah spot on, she told the person on the phone she didnt send the letter and when my wife asked who the letter was from they hung up. very strange

Blog Entries

Certainly sounds malicious - are there any prime suspects who would have a reason to put a spanner in the works? I don't know about privacy laws in Thailand, but if the Embassy were to let you know the source of the letter, it would give you (or your wife ) the chance to refute and/or explain the interference. As it looks like you've already checked the authenticity of the Embassy call, I guess the best thing you and your wife can do is to follow the forum maxim and tell the truth. If nothing springs to mind as to who might resort to such a dirty trick, and they won't tell you the perpetrator, then your hands are tied. I hope it works out.

Bobby1981

The only person who knows about her application was her mum but she wouldn't do a thing like that. I dont suspect any friends or family. My wife seemed convinced it was some kind of test by the Embassy but I've asked her call them back and try to get more information.

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ

I would report this to the embassy and ensure that this was a genuine call from the Embassy.

Furniture เฟอร์นิเจอร์ the_link's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby1981 View Post
    My wife seemed convinced it was some kind of test by the Embassy but I've asked her call them back and try to get more information.
    For all their faults, I'm quite sure the Embassy have better things to be doing than making ambiguous phone calls.

Bobby1981

I've now asked her to call them again and send an email to double check everything is ok.

Why would the Embassy hang up? Sounds very odd and not something that they would do surely. Be interesting to get to the bottom of it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gary & Nok View Post
    Why would the Embassy hang up? Sounds very odd and not something that they would do surely ...
    I agree.
    Tobias - โทเบียส
    It’s better to be 6 feet apart than to be 6 feet under.

Old Hand มือเก่า

Bobby, Are you using a Thai agency to do your visa documents ? or are you submitting the settlement visa documents by yourself?

Bobby, I can see where te2008 is coming from. Did you at any stage during the visa process consult an agency, even if you eventually did not use them. The telephone number in the opening post? Surely you have tried to phone it? Yes?.

Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by ddwjg View Post
    The telephone number in the opening post? Surely you have tried to phone it? Yes?.
    It is the main reception number for the British Embassy. Why phone it?
    It also states on the website
    Please note the Consular/Main Embassy lines are NOT for visa enquiries
    Are you thinking it might have been the number for the Agency Dave?

Gary. I was. Didn't know if it was the confirmed number. Forget that question, Bobby. Sorry.

First question may be relevant though. Something funny going on.

Dave.

Bobby1981

No I did the settlement visa by myself. The only 3rd party I used was when I was translating documents. In which case I used the original translation centre that was recommended from this website but they seemed quite normal people so I don’t suspect them. I've asked Air to call the number but I haven't spoken to her today so I'll find out later what the Embassy had to say.